Anyone use Hot Spot?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Wolf River Hunter

Anyone use Hot Spot?

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:11 am

Just opened up some prospective hunting plots for next year. Didn't really think about using them this year but I saw an ad for Biologic's Hot Spot and phFERTILIZER and it got me thinking. Anyone ever use them with any luck?

reeper0697

RE: Anyone use Hot Spot?

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I have not used Hot Spot personally but I have heard alot of good things about it. It is something I have always wanted to give a try as well.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:24 am

Fleet Farm had it 20% off so for $10 a bag I'll give it the old college try.

drvsarchryhnt

Postby drvsarchryhnt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:46 pm

I have heard a lot from the others about it, but I never tried this by myself. Its just a little bit interesting, and I was planning to use this to see how it works. Hope to have this successfully.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:49 pm

I just made my first food plot this year and I did a section in hotspot and a section in whitetail institute no plow.  I chose these because they are advertised to be easy (just rake the ground to get seed to soil contact) and they are not supposed to need as much sun as other plants.  What they don't tell you is that the directions are about twice as long on the bag and require lime, and fertilizer, and work better doing all the preparation you would do with a normal plot.  So far, not much is growing with either one for me.  After reading the directions on the bag, I went to a hardware store, bought lime and fertilizer, and spread both on top of the ground before spreading the seed.  I later found out that lime should be mixed in with the soil for best results, so it is going to take more time for the lime to have much effect.  I would say if you have good soil already, hotspot should be relatively easy to get to grow , but you will still need 10-10-10 fertilizer.  I also recommend spraying the area with roundup after you clear the ground and then waiting a week to spread the seed to keep weeds from coming back.  Like I said, I havn't gotten much growth, but this is my first time with a food plot. I will be checking up on the plot the first week in October and I will let you know how things have developed.  Also, I hunt in Juneau county and we have really sandy soil.

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:37 am

I planted a small plot (30 yards x 50 yards) with 2 bags of hot spot this year. It was across a creek with a thicket on the other side so i couldnt get tractors to it. I used weed killer, weed eatter, and alot of sweat. The plot looks great though and i stuck a doe the first time i hunted there. saw 14 does my first afternoon in the stand.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements