Can you have too much cover?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
rudye18

Can you have too much cover?

Postby rudye18 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Hey there, well that's what I have been wondering over the last off season. 

I have read everything I can get my hands on, everything from all of the d+d mags over 30 years to all of the subscriptions out there and all the books available online for sale, and I cant find anything about what I am looking into.

Its all about building sanctuaries and cover, but my question is do you think it is possible to have too much cover?

We have about 170 acres and about 130 of it is tillable.  Out of the remaining 40 acres it has been timbered heavily, once 14 years ago and again 7 years ago. Also there is constant blow downs from storms over the past few years.  The whole thing is a jungle. 

Also I don't have a sanctuary yet, I mean its all overgrown, but I still access it all.

What I am thinking of doing is going through and taking out all of the briers and shrubs that are overtaking the floor of the woods.

All I can think about is that that is too crazy, but I dont really have any other ideas, the deer on our property can access the field from anywhere they choose, and sitting on a trail is almost impossible as there are hundreds, I have stands on the most used and intersecting most used trails, but some nights I get skunked, some nights I just see a few yearling bucks. 

I feel like they need to be condensed and funneled some how and that's kind of the only idea that I have right now. 

I do plan on leaving some to act as a sanctuary and from there not disturb it.

I dont want to go ahead with this plan without getting some input, so anyone have any ideas?

I'm grasping at straws now, the whole problem is the whole thing is a staging area and beading area, you go in at 1 they are there, go in 3 hours before daylight they are there.

I have also tried field hunting, but because of the nature of our surounding landowners and probably myself, they dont come out until late.

Thanks

ghost hunter

RE: Can you have too much cover?

Postby ghost hunter » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:46 pm

IT IS ALL OVER GROWN BUT YOU HAVE TOTAL ACCESS SIMPLY DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

THE DEER CAN GET TO THE FIELD FROM ANYWHERE. OK BUT WHERE ARE THEY COMING FROM AND WHERE DO THEY WANT TO GO?

WATCH MOVMENT FROM A PLACE YOU CAN SEE MOST OF THE FIELD WHEN CROPS ARE LOW AND AFTER HARVEST.

GET AN ARIEL MAP AND LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE. I USE MY TOPO .COM.

WHAT IS IN THIS TILLABLE FIELD FOOD CROP OR CASH CROP.

IF IT IS CORN YOU COULD GO FOR A WEEK AND NOT GET CLOSE BUT STUDYING THE HABIT OF HOW THE DEER COME AND GO SHOULD HELP.

SPEND ALL DAY WHEN HUNTING THIS ONLY HUNT EARLY MORNING AND LATE AFTERNOON CRAP IS JUST THAT.

DONT FEAR COVER LEARN HOW TO USE IT.

I HUNT FARMLAND. I HUNT A FARM THAT THE ONLY OTHER HUNTER HAS BEEN ON THE PLACE 10 YEARS LONGER THEN I HAVE.

HE TAKES ONE OR TWO DEER . I COM CLOSE TO TAGGING OUT EVERY YEAR.

HE LIVES 20 MIN FROM THE FARM I LIVE THREE HOURS. I WILL PROBABLY REGRET SAYING THIS BUT LAST YEAR MY TAKE WAS 7 ALL TAGS

BOW SLUG MUZZLE AND DMP INCLUDING A 20 WIDE 8 POINT. HE HAD NON AND TOLD ME THERE WERE NO DEER ON THE FARM.

IT IS NOT LIKE TV IT IS HARD WORK

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:12 am

go in with a cicle clear a small path where you want them to come out does have to be clean path go in about 100yrds on the outside by the edge of the field put up to look like fence string wire or whatever string it as much as you can leave opening where you path is and where you want them to come out they will use it i have done this where i hunt make sure it high enough they can;t just leap over make it look like a barbwire fence it works guaranteed learned this from a video i bought do it asap should have been done already!!! wear gloves keep it scent free as possible let me know how it goes if you do it
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:28 am

We have several areas that are choked with briers and and I love it so do the deer...what I have done is mow a path that takes me on the "good" wind edge of it and one that is on the lower edge to funnel deer to stand sites...the deer use these trails heavily...and the browse the briers heavily ..especially in the fall after the frost has taken out some foods and the leaves are dropping to the ground...the briers are the last thing to stay green under the trees canopy 

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:46 am

I hunt land that has been cut over several times in stages with no quality agriculture around it. We try to take advantage of breaks in the terrain which tend to funnel deer. Trouble is that the guys who hunt the neighboring property shoot about anything they see. This is also in a county where running deer with dogs is legal, which tends to stir things up and create more nocturnal deer activity.

I would say it is possible to have too much cover, but probably not on the size piece of land you are talking about. All those blowdowns and briars are a good thing, as they provide windbreaks and good bedding areas. It would help to understand what the surrounding properties were like, the lay of your land, and the most likely direction the deer came onto it from. You should be able to figure out the favored travel areas between the wooded area and the fields. The greatest success I've had deer hunting has been where there is a break between cover types (thicket surrounded by taller woods, cutover corners, opening along a drainage, etc.) as long as the wind is in your favor.

Figure out the prevailing wind direction (usually northwest in winter) and find a good vantage point to the southeast where you can keep the sun at your back while watching as many key trails as possible. Make sure you can approach your stand with the wind in your favor or you could be pushing deer before you get where you're going to hunt.

I hope this makes sense & can help you use some tags this year. Let us know how it goes.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:52 am

I don't think you can have too much cover. Maybe you could try planting some cover type crop (corn, switchgrass ...) in conjunction with your work in the woods that could help with funneling for you??

rudye18

Postby rudye18 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Hey guys thanks for the help.

let me try to paint the picture better that way your all not unarmed in the situation.

Well the field is corn this year, but the field is to the south and the woods to the north, also the wind always comes from the south. 

I have basically the worst hand in the game, but what I try to do is just get in early and on a easy access trail, climb high, and spray down with scent killer.

I then try to sit all day, most days I can, some I cant, but I do have paths mowed that lead to the stand and go around from the south side of it, but It just seems like I cant get anything going in the right direction.

Normally it takes 4-5 hours to see any deer come back in, it seems as if they just leave the property and come back later.

Also bordering the field is a 100 yard wide ravine, then on the other side is all of the jungle.  I have tried hunting the ravine because its more open, but they don't leave the jungle until its too late to do anything.

Not quite the best option for mature buck hunting.

As for where they are coming from and going, like I said they bed everywhere, and where they are going is simple, to the corn.  From any point they enter it, its all where they choose.

Things just don't work out to well.  

The only thing I can think of is what I said, possibly taking away all cover except for one area of brush in some central area in the woods, possibly 5 acres but I am thinking larger in size.   From there the deer will still use the rest of the area because there are still going to be small saplings all over, so they will still have a staging area, I just will only allow them to use a bedding point only.

I dont know, I feel like except for making a fence all round the field I have done everything I can, now I am trying to think outside the box, hopefully with your help we can come up with something before I trash the woods.

Thanks

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:35 am

Wow, sounds interesting.

I liked msbadgers idea of forming a few trails using a brush hog or something, deer will travel the easiest route, if undisturbed. Also, keep the trail from breaking all the way out to the field edge, end it about ten yards and make it a small trail at the end so a mature animal doesn't have to commit himself to coming all the way out right away and it still feels like a staging area. They need to go where your deer want to travel.

It also sounds like you have a very good morning spot if your prevailing wind is from the south. If you can enter the woods from the north before daybreak and have a spot that is the most likely place the mature buck is bedding, or if you found a nice shed, or have some kind of indication where a mature buck is bedding, there's your setup. You'll also be able to do some scouting and hear or see where the deer you're wanting to take is bedding and move accordingly.

Personally I enjoy hunting over food plots and if you have a staging area and part of it can have a small food plot, there's an excellent chance a big boy will feel comfortable to use it during daylght. Ladino clover is a great option for a food plot when corn "candy" is available.

Good luck!

rudye18

Postby rudye18 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:55 pm

Wow thanks Bowman, that actually helps a lot, mornings on the beds.  I actually did not think to much about it, but I am definitely going to give it a shot this fall.

Hopefully the northern landowner will let me do it.

What do you guys feel is the accurate distance for hunting the beds.  Obviously I don't want to be sitting right on them, but 100 yards should do it?

Oh also what are your guy's thoughts on morning hunting, I have read numerous articles about some morning hunting being a bad thing.  As in the more mature bucks will bed before daylight anyhow, and then even if I come in 2 hours before daylight or more I will make my presence known.

Have you guys read any of that, or had some experience?  So far I have not spent even 10% of my time in the woods during the morning, its that off ratio, so I am all ears.

BrookProperties

Postby BrookProperties » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:59 am

Try dropping/cutting some trees so they fall over a few of the existing pathways and travel lanes the deer use. This will do two things. 1) it will funnel deer into the other trails (where you'll have your stand placed) and 2) the new opening in the canopy of the timber will allow for new vegatation to grow so they deer have more forage.

Good Luck!
Nick Rhodes
Wildlife Properties
Smith Center, KS
www.MyWildilfeProperty.com

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements