Year round plots for feeding deer, suggestions wanted

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
rthomas4

Re: Year round plots for feeding deer, suggestions wanted

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:54 pm

I haven't planted yet, since I still have plenty of Austrian peas and winter oats that the deer and turkeys are still eating. I've also found some turnips that are still being pawed up, and have a lot of new voluntary turnips sprouting all over the place. I may just wait and plant a fall plot, since we're still getting plenty of rain. I normally plant at the end of April when there isn't much chance of getting anymore frost, I'm thinking about planting some forage radishes and sugar beets if I do plant in the next few weeks.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Heading over to check on my newly planted orchard. I'll keep you guys posted on well it does. We got a ton of rain and high winds lately. Hope the stuff didn't drown. Tends to be a bit wet where I put the trees. I did make a berm to elevate them some. I can't wait for Oct to get here so I can hunt that area! About to go plant about 20 melon vines in the throw n grow plot I have out too. Time will tell.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:23 am

Spearfisher, you ever plant sweet potatoes? Deer will actually let the vines grow till they get nice and thick, before demolishing them. Guaranteed attractant.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Spearfish,I went up and checked our small wooded Food Plots with the Durana Clover,the first one is out more in the open and is in an area where the Cattle were fed for several seasons with hay and they fertilized it pretty good...the Clover really flourished good there and is doing very well.The other 2 spots are further down the logging road and are under the Big Timber where it's been thinned out,the clover is doing fair there and is not as thick but is still flourishing and hopefully will continue to grow more and get thicker after more rain and time...the last food plot is back in the far corner where we Deer Hunt and I still haven't made it that far back there,maybe in the next week or 2 I'll venture on back there and see how well its doing too?

I'm a lousy pic poster so if You want to see any pic's Private message me with a number and I can text You before And after pics!

I see You've planted some nice Fruit Tree's,those will be awesome if they keep growing and bear Fruit for the Deer and such....be sure to put some type of wire around them so the Deer don't use them for Rubs and damage the Tree's! ;)

bwilson

Postby bwilson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 am

Don't forget supplement feeding in the summer. We build and use trough feeders. They work a lot better than the mechanical feeders which throw everything on the ground for anything to eat. Buy feed that contains at least 18% protein as well as numerous other - good things.
We weighed each harvested deer for two years and then started out supplement program and weighed them the third year. We averaged 20 lbs. heavier the year we used the supplement feeders. We also put a mineral site beside each feeder.
Our club is in central Al.

naturelover

Postby naturelover » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:51 pm

I've used Alyce clover very successfully. Here in the south it can be planted as late as June or July. It comes up quickly, holds up very well to grazing pressure, and the deer love it. It has approximately 16 percent protein and is drought tolerant once it's up. It will return on it's own for several years after the initial planting.

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements