My New Food Plot Strategy

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
MZS

My New Food Plot Strategy

Postby MZS » Sat May 18, 2013 5:33 pm

I have a 1-acre food plot put in 2 years ago with help from a tractor. It attracts deer but the trouble is that it generally is too far from good cover so it tends not to hold deer. They come, they go. Since then, I got myself an ATV and ATV disk.

So here is what I am doing:
    I have created trails big enough for my ATV - I have a lot of sunny area good for growing right near some cover. This was logged 3.5 years back. I mowed the trails if they were covered with tall dead grass.
    Next, I disked the trails with my ATV disk and about 200 pounds of weight - just did this yesterday and am glad I did - today we got nearly 3" of rain and that makes our red clay quite a mess.
    In 2 -3 weeks, when stuff really starts greening up, I will kill off all the growth with a hand-held backpack sprayer and glysophate (roundup-type).
    After a few days to several weeks, whenever the weather looks to bring rain, I will plant my trail and then drag some old tires behind my ATV to flatten out and cover - the tires seem to work well on the clay. Then hope for "normal" rain, not an 8" flood like last year.
Once all is planted, I will stay off the trails that run near bedding areas. What I like about all this is that I get a fair amount of "food" plot (up to 1/2 acre), but spread out. Also, the trails make creation with an ATV much easier. I did about 1/5 acre like this last year and am pretty much doubling - what I planted in the trails all got munched down so I did not even have to worry about mowing. On the other hand, my 1-acre plot grew overly tall since only a small portion was browsed. Something different from last year is last year I started with weed killing - then it got a bit dry for a while and I had somewhat dried out clay that was hard to till up when I got to that step - this year I was able to till when it was just about right.

msbadger

Re: My New Food Plot Strategy

Postby msbadger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:24 am

Well it sound like you have a good plan working for you...If you have concerns with the food plot not getting used due to being Too open...try running strips of corn or sorghum with a climbing soybean through it...or plant fruit trees ...arrange them so it still gets plenty of sun when fully grown...semi dwarf...and with enough room to maneuver around ..The pic shows a very small clover area right in front of a blind ...in the corner of a bigger field...the cages are just a few of late apples and pear I planted...they will produce in a few years...A water tub will be put in there this summer as well...

IMG_1100.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG (210.38 KiB) Viewed 1921 times

IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG (218.72 KiB) Viewed 1921 times

(SP)
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

hillarysmith

Postby hillarysmith » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:08 am

That seems to be a good strategy. I think you should start harvesting.

http://www.fatlosspot.com/customized-fat-loss-review/

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:04 am

I should have known that with the name Hillary, you'd be a bitch! Sneaky way of spamming the sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements