Food Plot Question

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
ChasinTails27

Food Plot Question

Postby ChasinTails27 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:33 pm

I'm lookin to plant a small food plot in the woods that won't get the amount of sunlight that it probably would need. It will be on a little hill where the swamp comes up to some high ground. What would be some good options to plant in low light conditions???

Thanks for your input.

msbadger

Re: Food Plot Question

Postby msbadger » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:35 am

That all depends on how low light and PH levels...you could try a HSG/Duran clover mix just avoid a regular perennial rye. The high sugar grass rye isn't the same thing...Google both and also Google low light plots. Avoid fescue grasses they are not a good feed and deer do not like it ...it's listed as a deer safe planting in many places. Clover and chicory is a good mix as well...though chicory really does need some light to do well
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:47 pm

I don't know about your area, but down here in SC I've had success with sorghum and millet in those type of areas.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

ChasinTails27

Postby ChasinTails27 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:32 pm

I will have to check out some low light plot options on google. I didn't know what y'all may have tried and had luck with. The plot will be about 200 yards from a big field. I am just looking to draw them to me as they get off their beds to feed. And something to keep the does around when the rut kicks in. I have used a lot of corn in the past but I end up feeding a lot of coons.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:42 am

I've been thinking of doing something along the same lines for the timber I hunt. The only timber I have available is basically bottom ground along a creek. The actual timber is probably only about 200 yds across on average, with ag fields on both sides. The problem is that the harvest has been earlier and earlier, and the farmer likes to chisel plow as soon as possible. This pretty much eliminates the deer travel through certain areas and restricts me to hunting only 1 or 2 stands the rest of the season. There is some really good bedding area nearby, so I thought if there was some kind of throw n grow deal I could spread through the timber that would provide more forage that would last longer into the season I could maybe keep deer using the same trails that are huntable...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:15 pm

If the soil is moist and has never been planted before, there should be enough nutrients in the ground for turnips to come up. The only problem is deer normlly wont eat turnips until there's been a good frost which makes 'em sweet. You might try some of the new forage beets and forage radishes in the same areas. I understand it doesn't take much for those to grow, and the deer will hit 'em whether it's summer or winter.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

VT Outfitter

Postby VT Outfitter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:35 am

If you have permission to cut some trees around your small timber food plot I have a suggestion that I have done and had work for me. It is obvious that the more sunlight you can give your food plot the better. Some times it is the tree canopy that is blocking the sun from hitting the ground in a large enough spot to grow the size plot you want. If you planted your timber plot as is right now, you would see germination in the whole plot area. When it matures you would see a good growth spot in the middle or wherever he sun hits the most, while everywhere else would be weak. Clover for example would come back in the small sun spot, but not so much around the edges. Try this...cut trees around the edges of the plot to open the canopy to achieve the size you want. When your laying trees down you can do it so when they fall you can build a tree fence so you can control where the deer access the plot making tree stand or blind set up location easier to map out when considering prevailing wind direction, where the deer are coming from, and where the deer will go after they leave the hunting plot. With only a couple of openings where the deer can enter or exit the hunting plot, the chances of them sneaking in undetected are very minimal. After you have good sun exposure for the food plot, your choices of seed are limitless for what you can plant. The down side to building this tree fence to open the canopy is it changes the deer's environment which can make them avoid the area for a bit. So you should do this in early season to give the deer a chance to become use to it. That being said, I can also tell you that I have been in the woods cutting firewood, only to return the next morning to find fresh tracks from the night before. I guess if you interrupted their habitat, then stayed clear of the area for the rest of summer early fall they should be using it by the time season comes. I hope this helps. Good luck this deer season!
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements