Central oklahoma food plot questions

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
MacombWhiteTail

Central oklahoma food plot questions

Postby MacombWhiteTail » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:33 am

Hey, new to the forum first i wanted to say hi.

First is a description of my land, i own 160 acres. There are 3 ponds, heavy brush in areas, clearing in some. I am wanting to put in a food plot to keep the deer on my land as much as i can. the land also has cows on it. I was wondering what i could do to fence off a acre or so for a food plot to keep the cows off, i was thinking maybe tee post and wire, also wondering what kind of food plot should i use? wanting to do a spring and summer, they stay on me alot in the winter. the place i have for the food plot has a small creek beside it, and about 100 yrds or more there is a big gully with a natural spring. Also thinking about some mineral and salt licks for the deer. any ideas will be appreciated.

kellory

Re: Central oklahoma food plot questions

Postby kellory » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:10 am

A solar fountain pump in either water source, should keep sending water where you want it for the food plot. Deer will leap a 12foot fence, if they feel the need.(I've seen them do it.) so fence to keep your cows where you want them. Brush fences, tend to steer traffic through funnels, where as wire just slows them down for the leap. If they want in, they will go under, over, and through your wire. And welcome to the forum. :D
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

MacombWhiteTail

Postby MacombWhiteTail » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:30 pm

ah thanks now just gotta decide on clover or whatever i want.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:38 am

Yes deer jump fence but go to Growing deer tv...Dr Grant woods has a video library that shows how to fence off remote plots with solar electric . It is a short wide tape fencing that is staggered. this fools the deer depth perception......as for the rest...available light...soil PH...fertility will determine what a good plot might be. Let's not forget surrounding food source. A fenced acre of soybeans could be a great thing in the late summer fall before leaf drop(beans). Just remove enough fence to allow deer in not cows.
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:38 am

Sorry I kept getting incorrect code messages :roll:
Last edited by msbadger on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:40 am

Sorry incorrect code message caused multiple submittals

MacombWhiteTail

Postby MacombWhiteTail » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 am

Im wanting them to jump the fence i dont care, a narrow way wont work because i have calves. ill probably buy a spring summer plot mix.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements