Any mineral plans?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DeerCamp

Any mineral plans?

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:32 am

Ive seen a few new post's on minerals.. I was wondering if any of you got any pics of the area's you put them over last year. I was also wondering if any of you had any recipeices you could share with me?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ranwin33

RE: Any mineral plans?

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:58 am

Here is a pretty standard recipe.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate - This is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
2 parts Trace mineral salt - The red and loose kind without medications.
1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt, or rock salt.

We have three running on our property.

Attached are a couple of picts of deer we got on cameras over the licks, but don't really show the licks themselves.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:33 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Here is a pretty standard recipe.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate - This is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
2 parts Trace mineral salt - The red and loose kind without medications.
1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt, or rock salt.

We have three running on our property.

Can you give some details as to how you create the licks with those ingredients? I imagine you get the ingredients at the local feed stores, how much does typical lick cost and how long does it last compared to the traditional salt blocks? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to find more affordable ways in this economy to attract deer to our little 110 acre patch of woods! Nice looking bucks btw!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:55 am

You got some very nice bucks there..Just becuz the deer arnt shown using them..with them being that close I would suspect they are using them anyway..Yes could you please give us a little more info on the mixing? Thanks.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:17 am

No problem on the questions.

Here is a link to the website where I got the information - I don't want to take credit for somebody elses work.  They say cost is about $30 but that was a few years ago.  Things have probably gone up since then. 

http://www.mosportsmen.com/land/deermineral.htm

We've just been using the red stock minerals the last couple of years.  I tried the recipe here for a year, and it worked well too, but really can't say I see any difference in use. It might be better for the deer with the di-cal in it.

The red mineral salts run me about $12 for 50 pounds now.  I also look for "name brand" mineral lick mixes on sale, ocassionally I can find the $10 stuff for $4 or so a gallon in liquid form.  So I pick them up and add them in when I find them.

The bucks do hit the licks hard in spring and summer, the one with the picture of the two bucks get's pretty good size every year.  Last year it was about a foot deep and 5-6 foot round.  But it fills back in a bit each winter with runoff from the firebreak it butts up against.  This year with all the rain, we can tell they're being hit, but not doing a lot of digging.  Or if they are the rain is causing them to fill back in.

I'd say give them a try.  I don't know if they help antler growth, but they will attract deer if put in a proper place.  

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:53 am

I think it's pretty much a given that the salt is used as an attractant because the minerals are bitter and the deer won't hit them as hard or at all without it.
Aldo Leopold

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Ill check out the link there in a few mins.. I bought some of the 30-06 stuff, Im gonna throw that out this sunday, as Ill be crossing the bridge.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:22 am

I ran across some "deer cocaine" and a few other small block licks on sale at Tractor supply and am now putting them out.

Has anyone ever used old panty hose for mineral licks?  I tried it last year and it works great.  I put the small blocks into a leg of my wifes old panty hose and then tie it into a low hanging branch.  The rain drips the residue on the ground and the deer wear it out.  It also keeps the lick off the ground and it seems to last much longer than just leaving them out bare.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

grizz

Postby grizz » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:51 pm

I have used Imperal 30-06 for the last few years great stuff. The deer are digging down to China to get it out of the dirt. It's a great way to get some deer photos

hansonca

Postby hansonca » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Thanks and yes it helped me out!!!

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements