Any mineral plans?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
FFKEVIN

RE: Any mineral plans?

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:13 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Here is a pretty standard recipe.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate - This is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
2 parts Trace mineral salt - The red and loose kind without medications.
1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt, or rock salt.

[font="Tahoma"]We use the same mix except we use a product called ADE minerals, in place of the trace minerals. It has all the same trace minerals but also has Vitamin A, D, & E. ADE Mineral Info Link The vitamins help the deer's body absorb the minerals.

Calcium & Phosphorus are needed for antler growth and milk production. The Di-Calcium Phosphate in the mix gives you these. (So does the ADE Mineral)

The salt has some nutritional value, but it is also an attractant. We also mix in some granulated or dried molasses for extra attractant power.

An updated price for this mix is around $70 for 200 lbs. of minerals ($85 if you add the molasses)
Di-Calcium Phosphate $24 for 50 lbs
ADE Minerals $20 for 50 lbs (you need two bags)
Stock Salt - $6 for a 50 lbs

(Dry molasses - $15 for 50 lbs)

It is still way cheaper than you can buy any of the premixed commercial minerals and you know it has everything your deer need! We have 2 licks on our property. We put 50 lbs out in each lick in the early spring and 50 lbs in each lick in the late summer / early fall.

To mix it, we take two 55 gallon trash cans and mix half of the minerals back and forth between the two until it is throughly mixed. Then we pour it on the ground and mix it into the dirt with a rototiller or shovels.

The following is a much better explanation that I quoted from this great article - http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/vi ... pid=538271

I hope this helps!!!

I'll get some photos of our giant holes from our licks on here soon! [/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:28 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Some other tips - I think the important things we did is make sure that the licks were along known deer travel routes and close to a water source. That way they find them easier and they can drink after licking all the salt.

Also, make sure you put them out early in the spring, since spring and summer are when they will get used the most.

Another thing we did, is after we mixed our mineral mixture into the dirt, we sprinkled granulated molasses over the top of the site. That helps attract them in as well. (After the site is established, you don't need the molasses any more.)

Last, I would suggest you put out 3-5 different licks and see which one or two they are using a lot. Then just freshen up those ones. [/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:21 am

I have been using honey-hole deer mineral that I can get from my local sports shop.  The stuff is amazing, last year I had trail cam pics of 4 different very nice bucks using the mineral site on a regular basis and that was the first year I started a mineral site.  They dug a big hole in the ground trying to get the stuff out!  The mineral costs about $12 per bag and they recommend dumping out a new bag every 3 months.  Not very expensive if you ask me. 

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:16 pm

I'll get some photos of our giant holes from our licks on here soon!

[font="Tahoma"]Sorry it took so long to get these photos up...

Here is a photo of our new lick site the day we "freshened" it up.[/font]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:21 pm

[font="Tahoma"]And here is a photo of our new lick 3 months later[/font]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:23 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Here is a close up of the craters they made.[/font]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Again, our recipe is -

2 - 50 lbs. bags - ADE Mineral - $40 ($20 ea.)
1 - 50 lbs. bag Dicalcium Phosphate - $24
1 - 50 lbs. bag of Mixing Salt - $6
1 - 50 lbs. bag of Dried Molasses - $15

Total cost - $85 for 250 lbs of minerals (Enough for 4 or more licks)

We just freshened up the licks again this weekend so these prices are from 08/15/09.

You can always save half the mix in a trash can or rubermaid tote if you were only doing 2 licks.

Also we have a new way of mixing them. We just pour each of the minerals out on the ground and then run a small Mantis tiller over them until it is all good and mixed with the dirt.

I hope this helps! [:D]
[/font]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:07 pm

ORIGINAL: Nubs

I have been using honey-hole deer mineral that I can get from my local sports shop.  The stuff is amazing, last year I had trail cam pics of 4 different very nice bucks using the mineral site on a regular basis and that was the first year I started a mineral site.  They dug a big hole in the ground trying to get the stuff out!  The mineral costs about $12 per bag and they recommend dumping out a new bag every 3 months.  Not very expensive if you ask me

[font="Tahoma"]Nubs,

Not trying to picking on you, but look at the math.

At $12 per 5 lbs. bag it would cost you $600 to use 250 lbs of minerals that I make myself for $85.

That is a difference of $515!!!

The homemade mix costs 34 cents per pound. (or $1.70 for 5 lbs)

Your commercial brand costs $2.40 per pound. (or $12 for 5 lbs)

For the $12 you pay for 5 lbs of minerals, I can make over 35 lbs of minerals.

If you put out one bag every 3 months for 2 years, that would be 8 bags, that cost $96 and you only put out 40 lbs of minerals total.

If you make your own and put out 62.5 lbs. once in the spring and once in the fall for 2 years, it cost you $85 and you put out 250 lbs. of minerals total. (or if you wanted to put it out 5 lbs. every 3 months your $85 homemade mix would last you 12 1/2 years...)

Seems pretty overpriced and expensive to me...

Save your hard earned money and make it yourself!!! [;)][/font]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:08 am

Does that have everything in it that the deer needs, say comparable to the store brands (rack-up, etc)?
QDM!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:50 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Does that have everything in it that the deer needs, say comparable to the store brands (rack-up, etc)?

[font="Tahoma"]Buckhunter - That is a very good question. I will get the bags out of the trash tomorrow and look up the chemical analysis and post the results.

I did get this recipe from the Missouri Department of Conservation. (Although we changed the trace minerals to ADE Minerals since they are close to the same except the ADE Minerals have Vitamin A,D, & E added to it. Also, we added the molasses to make it more tasty...)

So I would think if they recommend it that it must have everything that deer need.

Here is the original post -[/font]

"Recipe from Missouri Conservation.....

The ultimate goal of mineral supplements in deer management is to increase antler size and improve overall health of deer herds by providing minerals or trace minerals that may be lacking in a given area.

Although the jury is still out on effects of mineral supplements on wild deer populations since most studies have been on pen raised deer. Studies on wild population have been inconclusive and to a degree the same on pen raised deer due to other variables such as supplemental feeding that takes place in these areas. The direct benefits will probably be far greater in certain regions that lack certain trace minerals in the soil and plants.

One mixture of home recipe of deer minerals we recommend to landowners is a mix of one part Dicalcium Phosphate, 2 parts trace mineral salt (loose), and 1 part loose stock salt. All of these are available to purchase at most local feed and farm supply stores. Just to give you a little background on these minerals and what they are designed to do let's start with the Dicalcium Phosphate.

Dicalcium phosphate is used primarily as dairy cattle feed additive and other animal feeds. It promotes feed digestion, weight gain, and milk production, which is obviously beneficial to a lactating doe deer. Dicalcium phosphate contains roughly between 18 and 21 percent phosphorus and 19 to 23 percent calcium. You're probably asking why this is important by now. Well if you're talking about growing antlers on deer you need to take a look at what is the makeup of a deer antler.

Hardened antlers contain 40 to 50 percent organic matter from mostly proteins while the most abundant minerals consist of calcium and phosphorus. The demands for these minerals on a daily basis can be significant for antler production. In addition, a lactating doe's milk contains high percentages of both calcium and phosphorus to pass on to their young, also causing a significant mineral drain on the doe.

What makes all this significant is the fact that phosphorous cannot be synthesized by the body so it must be provided in needed levels in the animals' diet. This is where a mineral mix such as this could be very valuable if an area is lacking in these naturally.

Trace mineral salts do two things for deer. The first and foremost is it does have the salt/sodium to attract the deer and promote the use of the mineral. Secondly, it provides the trace minerals such as magnesium and potassium that are very important to herd health but are not found in significant quantities like others.

Stock salt is again like part of the above. It has the sodium to attract deer to the minerals.

Most mineral mixes have salt as their most abundant ingredient since a mix of just phosphorus, calcium, and other trace minerals have little attraction to deer once mixed with the soil.

As for directions of use we suggest using a 3-pound coffee can to measure out 1 part dicalcium phosphate, 2 parts trace mineral salt, and 1 part stock salt. Mix all these together once ready to use but keep components separate during storage. Dig a hole in the soil about 36 inches wide and 6 inches deep and mix the mineral well with the soil. This should be replenished after 6 months and then once a year thereafter.

Most use seems to be during the spring and summer months on mineral licks. It's a good idea to keep these areas replenished and stocked in the same spot to maintain use."

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements