minerals

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
leroy

minerals

Postby leroy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:20 pm

Last September here in central Ontario, Canada I put out the tri-mix of minerals in 4 places. I have been to the sites a couple of times last fall during hunting and ther seem to be no response. I checked them in April and last week and still ther is no sign of anything using them. THere are both deer and moose in the area. I have pics of them walking throught the 4 x4 mineral plot but no one has stoppped to enjoy. They are eating the corn & oats I put in the feeder.
What am I missing ? 

ranwin33

RE: minerals

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:26 am

Might try freshing them up again next Spring.  By the time you put them out in September they may not have been of much interest to deer.  And given a good winter to wash them away they're may not be much left come spring for attraction.  I've found deer usually will start to use mineral licks more frequently come Spring and through Summer, then start to leave them alone once Fall rolls around.  We freshen ours up every Spring and keep adding to them through the Summer.

Best of luck with your next try.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 am

I use the 50# brown trace mineral blocks that you can buy at a feed store. These are great places set up game cameras. Some of my best trail cam pics come from these mineral sites.
Stump sittin since 1981

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:38 am

I dropped one of those on a lick site last weekend when I was up at my farm.  Thought I'd see how it worked.  I know the salt blocks can last forever, are these things similar or do they deteriorate more quickly?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

muleman07

Postby muleman07 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:18 am

I am from central missouri and was putting out somethings such as like a corn meal substance and mineral salt. Can I do this in missouri all year around? Can anyone specify the law for me on feeding and food plots?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:27 am

Here you go:

[*]Deer and turkeys may not be taken with the use of dogs, bait, electronic calls, electronically activated calls or live decoys. Scents and minerals, including salt, are not considered bait, however, mineral blocks with food additives are prohibited. An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait. It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes others to be in violation of the baiting rule.

For the complete list of regs go here: http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/genregs.htm

Aldo Leopold

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Another ?. Has anyone tried dicalcium phosphate?

east ky mountain man

Postby east ky mountain man » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:05 pm

i dont use di-cal myself. too expensive anymore..i went to tractor supply and bought a 50 pound bag of producers pride general purpose mineral..it has 16 % calcium and 4 % phos....mixed it with rock salt and whitetail institute 30/06...this was 2 days after putting it out.

DBogie59

Postby DBogie59 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm

There's a recipe for Deer Cocaine on the internet somewhere. Pretty inexpensive if I remember right.

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:15 am

$/lb might still be high but check your local wally world, for the Deer Cane product. Around here it is all half price right now.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements