Plot Size... To Small??

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
shadow

Plot Size... To Small??

Postby shadow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:01 pm

I wanted to start a large food plot on a piece of my property but decided to go a bit smaller because I have never done this before.
I would like to know your thoughts on a very small hunting plot that is sort of funnel shaped and that goes from the smallest width which is about 10' then widens out to about 40'. Its depth is also about 35-40 feet. Would this be to small?
I can easily get equipment into this area and it also is an area that deer already travel through. I plan on killing grass and weeds tomorrow, then manually raking up sticks, dead material etc..  in about a week. I will then rototill and let it sit for about a week and then spray again before I plant seed.
I may possibly also extend the plot down the trail which is about 10' wide, and I then can easily get another 50 to 75 feet of area planted in both directions connected to this funnel plot.

I don't know, should I just leave it as a small sized funnel plot or would it benefit me to also extend it the extra 50 to 75 feet. If I do extend it, it will be on a trail I use for driving my truck through my property.(I don't know if it matters)
And... I originally and still do want to go with a perenial clover which right now I would prefer to plant in the spring, but for a mid summer planting what do you feel will give me good results as far as rapid growth and that deer will eat this fall.

PrairieShadow

RE: Plot Size... To Small??

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

it may get hit very hard being that small but i believe it is better than nothing for attracting deer.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:51 pm

shadow if it's going to be that late and an annual plot ...I'm not too sure I'd bother with a second spray this year...if the PH is good and not dry...I'd go with a secret spot mix...annual clovers ...grains and brassica is in it....I planted a perennial red and brassica a week ago....very light and tonite I walked secret spot over the area...big rain due.....I see alot of viney looking growth....grape vines?...if so they will help to attract and off set the heavy browse you will be getting....kinda test the area this year to know what to plant next

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:28 am

I think once you get your clover in there it will be fine as far as size goes.
For this year I would suggest either winter rye or wheat which you will till in next spring and it will act like green manure.
You could even mix in some brassicas like dwarf essex rape or kale with your grains.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:45 am

I think you're on the right track going with a Perrienial clover. I've seen a lot of good reviews for Durana and Imperial Whitetail Clover. If you're worried about the clover coming up in late summer with heavy browse I've ready some articles that it's good to mix brassicas in with the clover when you plant it. The brassicas grow fast and will help protect the clover in the early stages and then when the frost hits the clover will really takes off while the deer really go after the brassicas. Check out Mossy Oak Biologic's website. I'm not saying necessary use their products except for maybe Maximum, it's a good brassica mix. Use their website for research and then buy your clover and brassica at your local feed store and mix it your self before seeding. I'll be trying this on a couple small plots this year, I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'll be starting to prepare the plots in a couple weeks, we plant a little later down here in the south. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress, looks like it will be a nice plot and no, it's definitely not too small.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:03 am

Had you said yards and not feet I'd say go for it. 

But a plot that size is going to get hit hard and won't last long once the rest of the woods turn brown.  Nor is it large enough to hold deer on it for any length of time as the browse through. 

I always consider minimum plot size to be what I can shoot with a bow, so at least 30 yards by 30 yards and a little larger is even better.  Even plots this size don't last long once things turn cold and brown and they're the only thing left in the area that's green.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:35 am

Is this the only plot you'll have on your property?  If so, I'd recommend a clover mix.  I think any kind of annual will get just hammered too hard since the plot is so small and won't be worth it.  Like was stated, mix something in with the clover.  I've heard oats works great...Gives the deer something for this fall and then protects the clover while it's growing.  Also, brassicas wouldn't be a bad idea.  I've used maximum and had loved it last year when I put it in.  Had some bad luck with it this year though....
QDM!

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:10 am

At this point this will be the only food plot on the property. I am not looking to keep the deer in or near the plot at all times, but just want to give them a little extra food and slow them down a bit as they pass through this one area. There is alot of wild grapes and berries besides a corn feeder and apples all within 300 yards of this spot which they travel through daily. If this small plot goes well, I then can extend it in the spring the full width of about 10 feet and also have these small funnel shaped areas extending off of it every 50 feet or so and use up the trail that I presently use to drive on.
I also have another spot in mind were I can get a larger sized plot going. So hopefully all will go well.

I sprayed it down today with Roundup, the label says its waterproof within 10 mins. I hope so, I got just about 3 hours of dry weather after I applied it then it started to rain. I was a little unsure about the amount to put down, I bought 1 container and used it all, I believe it was 1-1/3  gallons. Everything in the plot area got wet with Roundup so I hope it'll kill it all. Still unsure about a seed mix... wheat, clover, rye, oats, brassicass... a little of this and a little of that. ITS ALL SO CONFUSING!!!??? [sm=rolleyes.gif]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:46 am

Your Roundup should be fine.

It may be confusing, but it's a fun confusing. [:)]

Try different things from year to year and see what works best.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Yes it is fun, I enjoy looking into the different seeds and plants as well as getting everyones feedback on this.
Doesn't seem like many others are as confused as I am though. I guess I'll get through it 

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements