Plot Size... To Small??

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DeanoZ

RE: Plot Size... To Small??

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Shadow, check out this link http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=469&mpage=1

lots of good info on a smaller deep woods plot...althuogh yurs is not exactly deep woods the same basic principles apply.  Good luck!

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:26 am

When the biologist came through my place and did his evaluation, he was of the mind that small plots would be the key to my place.  He suggested as many small plots as possible, taking little corners of pastures, and opening in the canopy and tilling them up.

Yes, they get hit hard, but that is not a huge problem if you pick something that regrows like clover.  Even just running the plow in a spot, breaking the fescue's deathgrip,  and letting the forbes take over will  attract deer.    If you string a number of them together, each will buffer the other from overuse.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:22 am

Fescue!  I'd like to shoot the guy who decided this was the answer to pasture grasses.  Getting rid of it is tough, but you are correct, once the forbes and other plants have a chance to grow they make some fine natural food plots.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:52 pm

I'd suggest turnips.  Extremely cheap, and if the plot is going to be used as a hunting spot the turnips may not be hit as hard until after your first freeze.  That is if there is other food in the area.  You could do that whole area and plant now or even a week or two later and have deer all in that after the first freeze.  Two pounds of turnips cost me five dollars and would more than cover the area in your pics.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:01 pm

I would use the Evolved Harvest "Shot Plot" Forage Rape and Turnip Brassicas,you get a lot of plant for your money and it will continue to grow even as the Deer browse on it.I also like what Whubbard said about planting some regular turnips in with the plants so you have something for the deer to eat later in the year!If I were You I would also consider planting some clover in with it and down the roads leading to and from your food plots.  

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:35 pm

ORIGINAL: whubbard

I'd suggest turnips.  Extremely cheap, and if the plot is going to be used as a hunting spot the turnips may not be hit as hard until after your first freeze.  That is if there is other food in the area.  You could do that whole area and plant now or even a week or two later and have deer all in that after the first freeze.  Two pounds of turnips cost me five dollars and would more than cover the area in your pics.

What kind of turnups do you use, and how much would it cost to plant a half acre?  Also, what are the planting recommendations (i.e. times to plant, ph, etc.)?
QDM!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:13 am

Huh...Just now the "boys" decided to have a ...bit of a tif in their kennel...so I turn and yell and whistle to them to break it off.....glance to my left and 30yrds out up pops a red head with velvet....the high racked 6pt was bedded 30yrds from the house 20 from the kennel...glassed him as he trotted down thru our woods to the hunting camp next door....Theses deer drive me nuts....how they know  the dogs can't get out to get them.....Between the raccons and deer I figure we won't get a single pear this year...luv them pears...trees are 15ft from the house.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:15 am

all the old farmers around here tell me that the almanac says to plant turnips after the second week in August.  I am in souther missouri, so my time line may be a little different than yours.  2 pounds would be more than enough for a half an acre.  Possible even over kill.  Two pounds of turnips should be less than 10 dollars.  I don't want to discourage you from getting your soil tested, it needs to be done at some point.  But If you are short on time you could brodcast the turnips lightl drag them and let them alone.  They really ought to come up.  The seeds are so small that they really just need soil contact.  Covering them wouldn't hurt but its' not necessary.  if you do cover them with a drag don't cover them more than a quarter of an inch.  I am actually putting in two small plots this coming weekend here.  I am using nothing but a hard tined rake and a spreader.  Break the ground with the rake, spread teh sead, turn the rake over and drag with the smooth side.  Good luck, and happy hunting.  Oh, and the turnips I buy are purple topped.  Any seed store should have them.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:35 am

msbadger, sounds like you have a good problem over there with those deer!

whubbard, thanks for the advice.  the only thing i'm worried about is spraying and discing time.  i'd have to wait a week after i spray to disc, and then i could disc, broadcast, and cultipack in one weekend, but there are some time constraints with weekends so not sure if i'd get them in before the end of august that's my only issue.  i bought a bag of shot plot at fleet farm and that's what i plan on putting in.  hm.  it was a cheap bag but rather just wait if they aren't going to come up.
QDM!

shadow

Postby shadow » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Just a quick update, all the weeds were killed in this area however some (lawn)grass had survived. I have not had time yet to till the area but plan on putting down some lime, tilling it up, broadcasting some seed and lightly raking it in this Saturday.
Do you feel I still have time for a second weed kill spraying next week, then planting on the 28th?

I appreciate everyone's seed recomendation's but will be buying a small bag of secret spot for this area. It seems to have a good mix of what a deer may want. I want to keep it simple for this first time and I have a store down the street that sells it. In the spring i'll be putting in a perrenial clover.
I also found a decent disk harrow for 40.00. When weight is added will it sink the disks into the ground and will it break up the soil enough to plant or will I need to still rototill the area first again in the spring? I was told that if I rototill this fall, I will not need to till in the spring, all i'll need to do is run this weighted harrow over the soil to break it up enough to plant. Any truth in that???

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements