Plot Size... To Small??

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
ranwin33

RE: Plot Size... To Small??

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:34 pm

You could go ahead and spray and give it two weeks to work. But if you're going to till things up real well, I think I'd save the time and spray. The tilling is going to cause some weeds to sprout anyway so don't be disappointed when they do.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:45 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

Just a quick update, all the weeds were killed in this area however some (lawn)grass had survived. I have not had time yet to till the area but plan on putting down some lime, tilling it up, broadcasting some seed and lightly raking it in this Saturday.
Do you feel I still have time for a second weed kill spraying next week, then planting on the 28th?

I appreciate everyone's seed recomendation's but will be buying a small bag of secret spot for this area. It seems to have a good mix of what a deer may want. I want to keep it simple for this first time and I have a store down the street that sells it. In the spring i'll be putting in a perrenial clover.
I also found a decent disk harrow for 40.00. When weight is added will it sink the disks into the ground and will it break up the soil enough to plant or will I need to still rototill the area first again in the spring? I was told that if I rototill this fall, I will not need to till in the spring, all i'll need to do is run this weighted harrow over the soil to break it up enough to plant. Any truth in that???

Nice disc first of all...That's a start!

As far as planting, when is your first frost usually?  Kind of running out of time on food plots, but all plots are different in their maturity date.  I'm from Wisconsin, and I'm planting some turnips and bracs this weekend.  Have to skip the spraying part since I need about 45 days, and that'll put me just about at the frost date.  So, keep that in mind.  If you are planting a perennial, which I think secret spot is an annual, I'd for sure spray since it's a 3-5 year committment. 

Yea, if you put some weight on that disc, she should dig right in depending on how hard the soil is.  Since you're planting secret spot now, I'd wait till the spring and do it when the ground is still soft.  Just my opinion. 
QDM!

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:14 am

What was I thinking??  Used a 5 horse front tine tiller Saturday, 95 degrees 70 percent humidity on an area not plowed for 40 plus years. After 2-1/2 hours, 5 bottles of water and 1 gatorade I got it done. I put some pelletized lime down 1st tilled it in then spread 12-12-12. It is supposed to be hot with no rain until Wed., night so I'll go back Wed and broadcast seed.
At least it won't be as difficult come spring in this spot. And the area measured a little larger than I thought.
Its 40x35.  Thats feet...not yards. Better I guess than nothing. Check out some of my deer photo's I got off Sd card yesterday, couple of small strange bucks. Pictures will be posted in a few hours.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:30 am

Looks like You've done a lot of hard work Shadow....and it always looks bigger (your food plot) when you have to do the work by hand! [&:] [;)]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:55 am

oooohh...front tine tillers...that brings back memories...I'm surprised you could even type today...lol...sounds like a job well done ...good luck

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:59 am

It was fun! [sm=s14.gif].... I held on and let it work.

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:33 am

And your right GTOHunter... the plot does look alot bigger since it was all done by hand. I can't wait to see it grow.
By the way, using secret spot, i can't find on their website or on the package if you should just let it grow, or if it needs to be cut back at a certain point. Any suggestions on that?

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements