Food plot died

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
leroy

Food plot died

Postby leroy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:38 am

Well we are newbies at this & this is our first attempt. We are located in southern Ontario, Canada. On June 6 we tested the soil for PH, it was good 7+ no other sample tests were done, no lime or weed killer applied. We cant get machinery in there so we raked away the leaves,sticks etc. We then cut what young live trees (15 inches high) and shrubs off at ground level. We raked the area 50 X 50 and planted 5 rows of turnip, 5 rows of radishes, 5 X 5 area of lettuce and spread 3 different types of clover,Alkslike and bought a prepackaged mix with 7 different deer greens in it. We did this in two areas 3/4 of a mile apart at our towers. One has a heavy canopy the other is out in the open.
Well on July 18th we checked on them & everything was up about an 1-1 1/2, pretty much a green blanket so we cleared another small area and planted some more but just  in the site with the heavy canopy. The trail cam was mounted and ready.
On Aug.8 the heavy canopy area was checked. The open site has not been checked since July 18.
Results :the June plants were not there and the July plants are 1-1 1/12 inches high.
The trail cam only gives us 8 pics, 3 moose  and 5 deer. Set for a pic every minute.
Where did the June plants go ? Did they die or did our hairy friends eat everything. I am asking because I dont think the cam took enough pics for them to have time to eat everything but the other half of me says yes they love them. But the turnips didnt get a chance to grow more than 1 1/2". Just over average rain fall.
I am a puzzled planter.

Goose

RE: Food plot died

Postby Goose » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:53 am

Its hard to say.....
Next time I would recommend putting up an enclosure pen to compare whats in the enclosure to the rest of the area.
Being a small plot, it could've very easily been wiped out by the deer and moose.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:04 pm

[font="Tahoma"]I agree with Goose. That is exactly what I was thinking when I read your post. My guess is that with such a small plot the deer and moose ate it too quick.[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:19 am

Agreed, with a small plot like that, young plants won't last long.  Also the idea of planting in rows, while good for a garden isn't necessary for a food plot. 

Plus, don't trust that your camera captured everything that was in the plot.  Game camera's are funny that way, for example just this past weekend one of our cameras took 1400 plus pictures over a two week period, most have deer in them.  Yet another camera sitting over a mineral lick that looked like it got hit hard just 100 yards further away only had 18 pictures on it, most of my brother.  Now we know deer were there, but the camera just didn't do it's job.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 am

Tough call.  Enclosure pens work great so you can see how much grazing is being done.  I would say that would give you a better estimate of your situation.  Also, trail cameras are hit and miss from my viewpoint.  They sure are fun though!
QDM!

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:23 am

Hey leroy don't feel too bad. If you had fun planting the plots? it"s not to late to put something in now. as a matter of fact you might be better starting now or even labour day weekend try adding some rye gain and clover. I hear rye will stay green even after the first couple of snow falls and be green earliy next spring. Cut it before it goes to seed and it will work as cover crop for the clover which will come up later in the spring.
If you have the time try to make your plot alittle bigger appx 10'000sqft if possible, so the deer and moose can't eat it all.
As for the camera don't feel to bad about that either I have had one running since early July and only have about 10 pics of deer. I can tell there are more than that using the plots just by the tracks in it. The cams sometimes don't trigger fast enough to catch all the animals or they don't walk passed it.

I live in southern Ontario also. Gonna plant appx 2 acres of rye and clover on the long weekend. From what I have read that should be about right for the Owen Sound area I hunt. If you hunt further south wait a week, they say if the rye gets to tall the deer don't like it and you want it to be green and tender during the rut in November.
good luck CDN1

leroy

Postby leroy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:42 pm

The plots are located between belleville & Madoc. We will be back there on labor day weekend to make the plots biger & replant.
I thank everyone for the input & I will keep you updated.

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:04 am

Hey Leroy, I used to hunt over that way myself 1/2 way between Havloc and Marmora.
WMU 74B and 60a I think. Shot my first deer over there, was pretty good deer numbers
then is it still as good now? Suprized about the moose would have thought them to be a little further north.
Cdn1

leroy

Postby leroy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:16 pm

The deer population is staying the same. The moose are also the same.8-9 residents per 500 acres for the moose. Been hunting moose there since 1961. Up to 4 in a year per group, of course that was in the early years. One every 3 years now. Track soup taste better now once you get used to it (hahahaha).

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements