Photos of one of my plots!

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Cut N Run

RE: Photos of one of my plots!

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:16 am

Lookin' Good! 

We won't plant until the end of August.  It just gets too hot & dry for clover to do well in summer around here.  It usually rains just enough to get 'em going around the start of September.

I hope the other hunters around there let that buck grow a couple more years.  He'll really be something by then.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:55 pm

How big is your plot from the pic it seems kind of small or you are really huge!!!!!!

also buck is most older than 2.5...3.5-4.5 maybe..belly is pretty straight across and the mass is pretty good also it is just starting to grow, i don't know the date of the pic but probably not febuary..???

it will grow alot more it looks like it will be a dandy!!!

buckandbow

Postby buckandbow » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:59 am

Here isa pic.of my plot and small sample plot that just planted the past weekend with 8 different sample packs from whitetail institude. The first plot is about 1/2 acre and was planted may 10,it contains 4 types of clover,braccica's,turnips,chicory,birds foot trefoil and alfalfa. So far the deer have not touched the plot but they are handy as I have a mineral bed about 100' into the woods and they have that roughed up pretty good.
ken

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:12 am

Goose, I never used turnip until this year and have a few questions.  I have a couple of pre-mix seeds with turnip that I bought at a silent auction and planted about 6 weeks ago in Upstate NY.  One mixture is Wildlife Brassica Mixture by Wildlife Perfect and contains (1) 28.90 % BuckGro Brand Forage Turnip, (2) 19.94% Rutmaster Brand Hybrid Brassica, (3) 19.91% Emperor Brand Rape, (4) 19.90% Purple Top Turnip, and (5) 9.97% Plot Enhancer Brand Chicory.   The other one is Great Lakes Wild Life Mixture by Harvest - Premium Forage and contains: (1) 39.94% Barkant Turnip, (2) 29.93% Temuka Rape, and (3) 19.65% Southern Cross White Clover.  Questions: (1) Has anyone out there used these mixtures and what was your experience with them?, (2) what is the size of the turnips vs. leave in the two types used above?, (3) what color top does BuckGro Brand Forage Turnip have? (4) is rape a big leaf brassica?,  (5) I have been told that deer will dig thru snow and get to the turnips in the winter, true? and (6) are the turnips in food plot mixes good for human consumption and can tops be eaten as greens, I assume so, right?  I pulled up a 2" turnip last week and it tasted just like a hot radish not anything like a turnip,  but it was good.  The taist surprised me, but maybe they don't taste like a turnip until they mature. Any light anyone can shed on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it and thanks [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size][/align]
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:05 pm

(1) Has anyone out there used these mixtures and what was your experience with them?, (2) what is the size of the turnips vs. leave in the two types used above?, (3) what color top does BuckGro Brand Forage Turnip have? (4) is rape a big leaf brassica?, (5) I have been told that deer will dig thru snow and get to the turnips in the winter, true? and (6) are the turnips in food plot mixes good for human consumption and can tops be eaten as greens, I assume so, right? I pulled up a 2" turnip last week and it tasted just like a hot radish not anything like a turnip, but it was good. The taist surprised me, but maybe they don't taste like a turnip until they mature. Any light anyone can shed on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it and thanks Tom Mac

1-I have not used those mixtures.
2-I dont know about the others but the purple tops are more root than top.
3-don't know
4-Yes, it is a very good attractant to deer with a high moisture content and TDN (total digestible nutrients) of about  70%.
5-Yes deer have been known to dig through snow to get at the roots. Sometimes they need to "figure out" what the brassicas are first. Some fields are completely wiped out and some go untouched.
6-I have never eaten them but I have heard of people that do.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements