So I planted Buckwheat

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: So I planted Buckwheat

Postby msbadger » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Sorry to hear that blazed....they have been in it hard here...have a few flowers but they've taken it down farther than usual...so even with all this rain reprouting is slow...my last plot is just peeking thru...today I went to check that and corn...it will be one of the last checks I make because I bumped 2 nice buck...trying to avoid just that....and then a set of deer? and another doe on way back...

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0378.jpg" border="0" alt="deer have been hitting buckwheat...09"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0367.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:19 am

I'm hoping they hit my turnips once they come up. I have my plot from last  year ready to be planted as well now. Last year was the first I tried and only planted turnips and clover. The deer hit the turnips hard and I saw deer on every hunt by this plot. This plot is on a different property 10 miles away.

Hey in that second picture, what type of prep and planting did you do? It looks like it would be tough to till.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:09 am

Hey blaze ...well you'd be surprised what a hard headed Irish woman can do[;)]...yes that was tilled....
looking at the pic...BW is on extreme rt side as a long narrow plot...which at the far end connects to another 200ft.12ft BW plot...to the middle and lft is a perenial plot....what you can't see on far left is a drainage ditcht I put in and a 50x30 yrd BW plot.....I tilled...and hand raked all but the big plot and that I disced and draged with the big tractor
 See to the right of pic is were our land goes up a steep hill thats all hard woods....All my BW plots this year and I put in7 of them will go to turnips /rape and I'm thinking on grain rye...If I still have the disc on....I honestly don't know if you can just over seed that before a rain....I've always disced in my grain seed in the spring...don't do winter grains...un less is a clear new summer planting

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements