cultipactor

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
forddeerslayer

cultipactor

Postby forddeerslayer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:04 am

ill be moving to ky here within the next few months and am looking at the kolpin dirworks set up for my 4 wheeler.  i really like the disc with the hitch system and i figure i need that.  my food plot will start out at about an acre but i have plans for advancements as its a 50 acre tract of land in the northeast hills.  planning on 3-5 acres as from what the webinars have said makes sense to me too.  i was looking at the cultipactor but i got to thinking i could brodcast my seed and drag a pallet and block couldnt i??  i will be playing with different food plots from turnip, clover, wheat.  if i can get away with brodcast n drag that would be great as the cheapest i found the cultipactor for was like 7 or 8 hundred on sportsmans guide.  i figured id join the forum here and see what you guys thought about it.  any advise i appreciated as i am very new to this but have a passion for learning more. 

69Viking

RE: cultipactor

Postby 69Viking » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:11 am

Welcome to the forum!

I think you can find many ways to create your own cultipactor. I've seen people use chainlink fence weighted down. Anything you can drag over a plot without it digging in and basically plowing the dirt would work. You're just looking to move a little of the dirt to cover seed. Good luck and post some picks of your progress!

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:28 am

Broadcast and drag will work fine....I do it every year with various plots.  I will be using a tire type drag for the second year this year.  It works a lot the chain link or the pallet just already has the weight.  I got the idea from a pasture drag we use for big fields to level out ant hills and stuff in the spring.  That one has 10 big rig tires cabled together and is way huge for doing small plots.  What i did last year was cable three truck tires together in a pyramid and pulled behind my 4wheeler....works great for narrow lanes.  This year i will be trying a variation of that with a pallet and 4 truck tires in a square behind the wheeler.  The tires will be ground contact and will be chained or cabled together ...the pallet will sit on top of them and be cabled in from the top....this will keep the tires in a square and with the pallet there it will give a little extra weight and help in being able to pick up the drag and put it in a truck or on a trailer with out getting filthy.  Remember to drag your seed bed smooth then broad cast your seed and re drag.....your results will be much better do to a more uniform seed depth.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

forddeerslayer

Postby forddeerslayer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:20 am

i guess the thing i keep wondering is will that push my seed to all one spot?  i truly am a rookie at this and am sorry if it seems like a dumb question but im trying to learn.  so far i like it alot.  it sounds like i wont have to disc down to far but im sure that depends on what seed i am using at the time.  then drag brodcast seed and drag again.  sounds like im saving money [:D] thanks guys.  great ideas i knew i came to the right place.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:18 am

A cultipacker would be best. It helps firm the seedbed up before planting if you are planting small seeds such as clover or brassicas. It also kind of puts the seeds in rows because of the gulley's created by the disc's, then the water and dirt go into those gulley's when it rains helping the seed out more.
We picked a 6ft pull behind cultipacker up from a scrap yard for $200, if you look around a lot of older farms have them laying around in their junk piles, if you see one, stop in and ask if they will sell it. You might get a great deal on one!

With that being said, a regular lawn roller will work for firming up the seed bed and a piece of fence will work for a drag. We've also used an old bed spring with some weights on it as a drag.

For smaller seeds like clover and brassicas, it is best to roll or cultipack before(for a firm seed bed, you don't want it going more than 1/4" in the ground) and after (for good seed/soil contact).

For bigger seed such as soybeans and corn its best to work up the ground, spread your fertilizer and seed, then work the seed in with  your disk(harrows straightened) then roll it or cultipack it.

Don't get me wrong, if you scratch up some dirt and through out some brassicas, stuff will grow and you might be happy.
I'm just saying what would be best so you have an idea and know your options.
We've planted a field of soybeans with nothing more than a bed spring,4 wheeler, spreader, and a burrowed roller.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:35 am

ORIGINAL: forddeerslayer

i guess the thing i keep wondering is will that push my seed to all one spot?  i truly am a rookie at this and am sorry if it seems like a dumb question but im trying to learn.  so far i like it alot.  it sounds like i wont have to disc down to far but im sure that depends on what seed i am using at the time.  then drag brodcast seed and drag again.  sounds like im saving money [:D] thanks guys.  great ideas i knew i came to the right place.

Yes it should push it all to about the same depth...which is what you want....after the seeds germinate and begin the life cycle of the plant if they are all planted at the same depth you will get a uniform emergence.  Small seeds it is very important to do this...over all you don't want to be more than about a quarter to a half deep which is why it is best to drag smaller seeds back in and just lightly cover it.  Having a good flat seed bed is really important for smaller seeds....that way after you broadcast they are laying at the same height above ground and when you drag they will push in approximately the same depth.  Larger seeds it doesn't matter as much (for food plot needs anyway) so you can just disk lightly back in.  You don't have to have a culti packer but it is nice...however we've never used one on the farm or the food plots and with a good weighted drag you can firm up the seed bed plenty good enough.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

forddeerslayer

Postby forddeerslayer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:43 am

problem solvers you guys are!  ill use a homemade drag for now until i find a good used one!  great info again thanks a bunch.  lets get rid of washington and run the government from the forum here. thanks again for your input.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:09 pm

Hopefully, this post will get shaman to post his picture of the cultipacker he uses.  I saw it on the T&TH forum and it puts my weighted chainlink to shame..

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

forddeerslayer

Postby forddeerslayer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:55 am

picture would be nice.  i work in a plumbing shop ive been thinking of homemade but im not that creative.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:27 am

Well I can't show pics as this time but....I ues a chain link fence and wire a couple of logs to it as a firmer and drag...It works great levels and firms for small seed and covers the lrg. seed in disc furrows...for lgr seed I disc one way and drag the opposite....fences also takes weed roots and rolls them up leaving them on the surface and kicks out bigger roots and rocks.....I also have a harrow drag we bought from sportsmans Guide I use on the bigger seed beds

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements