Tree Triming

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
barkriver

Tree Triming

Postby barkriver » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:45 am

I have several acres of 20-30 foot Red Oaks and in the past it has been a great travel corridor but the past few season I have noticed that the deer are moving closer to the edges of this small wood lot. One reason I think is because the trees have grown branches all the way down to the ground. These branches all seem to be dead about 4 feet or so up the trees and do not grow any leaves. The question I am asking is will it hurt the trees if I trim these and make it easier to walk through which I hope will increase browsing also. Any help on this I would appreciate, thanks.

msbadger

RE: Tree Triming

Postby msbadger » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:25 am

No it should'nt ...always best to trim dormant but you say the branches are dead....under cut and then cut to with in an in of "collar" or trunk....because it's an active bug and bacterial season I suggest spraying cut with a sealer...take the branches and make your self a nice ground blind...near bye....I trimmed mine and then walked the spreader with lime among the trees....hard raked it in and fertalized then threw down some secret spot...grew good and dang if it hasn't reseeded every year...

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements