Salt Blocks

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DeerCamp

Salt Blocks

Postby DeerCamp » Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am

I was wondering if anyone uses salt blocks? i work at home depot and we have some i was going to buy a few and put them out.. any one get any good out of them?

chris

RE: Salt Blocks

Postby chris » Fri May 16, 2008 10:18 am

salt blocks are more like candy for deer,if you want to grow healthier deer go with a mineral mix that patable for deer.It will help both bucks in body build and antler development and for does it will help in milk production for the little one.

[/align]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat May 17, 2008 5:01 am

what kind of mineral licks would you recommend? and is it to late to start? i live in michigan so antlers should be starting ..

chris

Postby chris » Sat May 17, 2008 7:39 am

I myself have been using antlerking minerals,i have awesome success with there product.The deer find it super fast and hit super hard but there are other companies that do offer the same.They make it patable to the deer and add a yeast to help them digest better,and they have it in a fine grind.You can make it yourself but when you do the math with time labor and buy the products,your money ahead buying it premade.If you put a homemade next to the market product guaranteed that the market product will out perform.I've tried it.

[/align]

chris

Postby chris » Sat May 17, 2008 7:47 am

[/align]did miss one thing,start now it is crucial to antler development,and your fawns future.I check once a month,refill as needed.Can all of this be expensive ,you dang right,is it worth it ,heck ya.Like anything you do,you only get out what you stick into it.Some peoples sport is my passion.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat May 17, 2008 11:10 am

[font=tahoma]DeerCamp,[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]It's never too late to put out minerals.  March or April is a better time but now the bucks are growing antlers and the does are about to give birth and start producing milk.  [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]When you make a lick, I believe the MOST important thing is to put it on or very close to a well used deer trail!!!  Having it near a water source is a close second.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]The things you want to have in your minerals are Calcium & Phosphorus (2:1 ratio), and Salt (Deer wont lick it without salt)[/font]
[font=tahoma]Other minerals that benefit deer are potassium, magnesium, sulfur, [font=timesnewroman]copper, iron, zinc, manganese, cobalt, iodine and selenium.[/font][/font]
[font=tahoma][font=timesnewroman]Also, vitamins A, D, & E are very beneficial.[/font][/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Salt & granulated molasses helps draw the deer to your lick.  [/font]
[font=tahoma][font=timesnewroman] 
[hr]
[/font]
[/font][font=tahoma]Here is a link for a chart comparing several brands of commercial minerals - [/font]
[font=tahoma]http://www.sunrichfarm.com/Sites/sunrich/Include/Monster2.html[/font][font=tahoma]

[hr]
[/font]
[align=left][font=tahoma][/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Here is another couple of excellent links on Vitamin & Mineral info - [/font][font=tahoma][color=#ff0000]http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=42096&pid=538271[/font]
[/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]http://fw.ky.gov/mineral.asp[/font][/align][align=left][/color][font=tahoma]
[hr]
[/font][font=tahoma]We have tried several of the commercial mixes (Knight & Hale, Antler King, Purina Mills AntlerMax and Lucky Buck) and they all seem to work, but they just cost too much money.  We now make our own for around $70 for 200 lbs., or $0.35 per pound (Compare to $22 for 10 lbs, or $2.20 per pound, of Lucky Buck and it doesn't have nearly the nutrition we have!)[/font]
[font=tahoma]

[hr]
[/font][font=tahoma]WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $70.00

50 lbs. - Dicalcium phosphate - (this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores) $23.00 you need one 50 lb bag.

100 lbs. - Trace mineral salt - We use ADE Minerals it has all the minerals + vitamins A, D, & E (without the medications) $22.00 you need two 50 lb bags.

50 lbs. - Stock salt - $5.00 you need one 50 lb bag.
[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma](Optional 1 - 50 lb bag of dried molasses to attract them to it $12.00)

Directions:
-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.
-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.
-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.
-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:
-Replenish every 6 months
[/font]
[/align]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat May 17, 2008 11:11 am

http://www.antlerking.com/products.aspx

what one do u use chris? theres like 30 of em

chris

Postby chris » Mon May 19, 2008 1:26 am

[/align]I prefer antler king,its a has a fast draw.you'll notice them hitting it in a day or two.my preference.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:28 am

i use a 50 pound mineral block from a local farm supply store.. works great. the best thing about it is only costs $6.50.. no need to spend loads of money. 50 lbs for 6.50 is the way to go. deer love it

chris

Postby chris » Mon May 19, 2008 1:29 am

[/align]trophy deer mineral by antlerking

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements