Salt Blocks

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
GTOHunter

RE: Salt Blocks

Postby GTOHunter » Mon May 19, 2008 4:14 pm

I've put out several different types of minerals together and then I placed a mineral block or salt block next to it for the deer.I also bought a 6 lb bag of the "Whitetail Addiction" from Bio-Logic,you mix the powder with 6 gallons of water and pour it over a large bare spot.I plan on using about 1/2 of it and replenish it later on this year or mix some more up and try it on another area about 100 to 200 yards from the first spot.

A Friend of mine and myself did the mineral mixture like FFKevin mentioned and the Deer are hitting it really well since we put it out some time in late march I believe?

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Tue May 20, 2008 1:05 pm

I have read alot of do yourself mixes but all make so much,like 200lbs. Wish there was a recipe for less large amount.?

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Tue May 20, 2008 1:10 pm

Another question? What is in the brown blocks for cattle? Minerals? As opposed to just the white salt blocks?

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat May 31, 2008 9:49 am

Yeah...the brown blocks have minerals in them and salt.I like using them because they don't stand out and aren't as easy for someone to find and mess with like a white salt block.The minerals you mix up together may cost a little more in the beginning but you have more of it after you mix them together but will last longer and you can use it to replenish your mineral licks throughout the year!

WVBuckHunter

Postby WVBuckHunter » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:47 pm

I nevered used salt blocks till this spring because a sporting goods store had a clearence on them. But the Evolved Habitats Buck Lickers in sweet corn are good attracters. I set one up at one of the blinds i hunt. i sat it on a stump above a natural spring about 2 months ago and the setup was perfect because it right off a deer path. i went over memorial weekend and checked it. Well lets say a deer got mad at this block. A deer apparently knocked it off of the stump. but the deer traveled there i guess hours before i checked it. because it was dead fresh

twotone3

Postby twotone3 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:48 am

I use the bucklicker mineral blocks but I don't place them on the ground.  To make them last a little longer I place them in slotted drain tile that I have hanging from a tree.  This way they require water to enter the drain tile then it drips on the ground.  I check the licks every couple weeks and the deer seem to make a larger hole in the ground below it every time I'm out there.  I'll try to remember to take a camera out with me next time so I can post pictures of what they have done.  I have two seperate licks that are about 20 acres apart and both are torn up.  Each lick also has a feeder within 200 yards that also do very well.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:39 pm

I am curious as to what are Deer&Deer hunting mag's thoughts on mineral and salt blocks for deer? Are supplemental minerals beneifical to wild deer body growth rates? Does CWD get transmitted between deer at mineral sites for deer?

Whack Master

Postby Whack Master » Thu May 28, 2009 12:58 pm

I have no clue. sorry. i would like to know how to make your own salt block.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:49 pm

Our hunting group used to use salt blocks and had very good success with them.  They would get hit from spring till about late August.  We no longer have them because there illegal in the CWD zone here in Wisconsin.
Scott

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu May 28, 2009 2:00 pm

ya the cwd got the best of us up here too.. however there wasnt one deer found all season,but that one in a pen that had it.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements