Controlled Burning

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
JPH

RE: Controlled Burning

Postby JPH » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:17 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Can you describe how you did it?  i.e. So it didn't get out of control, etc.

Well as you know, I did a small test burn the week before and it took off too quickly, so I had a fresh lesson in mind.

1. Contact the local FD to be certain that it is legal in your area.
2. Map out what you want to burn and judge the wind and weather. It is much wiser to do multiple small areas. Also avoid high winds or extremely dry conditions.
3. Make a good fire stop on the downwind side. You can rake or plow a dirt strip. Or you can do a series of very small burns (controlling them with water), that create a strip of blackened ground.
4. Move everything important (truck, tractor, tools) to the upwind side before burning.
5. Wear very sturdy, all natural fiber clothing, hats, leather gloves, masks and safety glasses. No nylon and keep cotton to a minimum.
6. Have plenty of rakes, water, hand sprayers, and damp towels/burlap bags on hand before starting.
7. Once everything is set, start your fire on the upwind side. As soon as it spreads, put out the fire that is advancing slowly into the wind. Do not ignore this side of the fire until you are certain it is out!
8. Follow the fire by remaining inside the burned area. Never put yourself in the unburned area with an advancing fire!
9. If it looks like it is getting away from you, get on it right away. Don't risk anything.
10. Once it reaches the fire stop start working the fire line to fully extinguish it. It may take many visits to the same hot spots. This is where your rakes come in very handy. One person rakes up the hot spot while another hits it with the hand pump.
11. Do not leave until you are 100% certain everything is out!

This is not a complete guide, just things off the top of my head.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:03 am

I'd say it's a pretty good guide....Thanks a lot buddy!
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:45 am

Other thing to remember about fire is that it can cause the wind to change direction as it sucks in air.  So what you think is the up wind side, can quickly become the down wind side and vice-versa.

If you do the Missouri burn workshop they will provide you with equipment and water tank/sprayer free of charge.

Nothing like a good burn to get things growing.

I won't say I'd never do a burn alone, because I have, but it's always best to have at least a partner or two to help should things go wrong.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Glad to hear your controlled burn went well JPH...I still wouldn't do it all alone,too many things could go wrong and if your by yourself who's gonna go for help or save You? [:(] I worry too much I guess and I have helped put out several fires that went wrong and it can be scary! [&:]

Our Neighbors on the property behind us does several controled burns on their property each year,they talk with the local Conservation Agent,check the weather forcast,wind speeds and directions,then they usually let us know what they are doing so we don't call the Fire Dept if we see smoke.We keep our farm mowed and cleaned up that we don't have to burn it off,but I can see where it would help improve on helping the natural grasses and under-growth grow better by thinning out all the unwanted weeds and grasses.  

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:38 am

I've got 5 acres I wish I could burn.  I probably could. I nearly did.  It's one of those stories I'll tell around the campfire some night.  What blew my mind was how quickly the land regenerated and how lush everything was.  There was an incredible amount of dry stuff on top of the ground, and it had a lot of nutrients sequestered.  Once it got burned, it was able to release a lot of those nutrients back into the soil in a hurry.

I'm probably not going to burn any time soon, but the 5 acre patch in question is going to get a good going-over soon with a couple of cows-- nature's bush hog.  They mow and fertilize at the same time.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:39 am

If the weather cooperates at all our 8 acres of NWSG will burn this weekend, along with our 2 acre bean field plot.  Just hoping we don't get anymore rain, then things may be good to go come this Saturday or Sunday.  Otherwise it will have to wait till next year as won't have another opportunity for rest of month.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun May 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Here are some pics of the regeneration my burn is producing, about 6 weeks after.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 am

Looks great JPH ! Looks like losing your sweatshirt was worth it in the end[:D]
Seriously though, it does look good and it looks like your hard work paid off.
Do you have pics of before?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon May 04, 2009 1:36 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose
Do you have pics of before?

Naw, stupid of me. I did not think to get before pics. [8|]

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon May 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Either way it looks great, is it what you were expecting and hoping for?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements