Controlled Burning

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
buckhunter21

RE: Controlled Burning

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Looking good!  How could you forget the before pictures when you are all about them?! [:D]
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue May 05, 2009 2:42 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Either way it looks great, is it what you were expecting and hoping for?

Not exactly certain what I was looking for. I guess I was just hoping to release new growth in areas that I had been unable to effect so far, without the use of a tractor or other equipment. From what I see right now, it looks like I've done just that.

From what I understand, if a person wants the type of results shown in post # 6, you need to burn every year and do TSI. I may pick an acre or two and do just that.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue May 05, 2009 10:11 am

We have some mature red pines on our land that were planted for logging. So you could call them a pine plantation I guess, anyways there is about a 2-3inch layer of pine needles on the floor so nothing else grows. I'm wondering if a person could burn them and hopefully get stuff to grow in them. I have thought of taking the disk in between rows and working the ground up but that is next to impossible with the stumps from previous thinnings. Theres alot of good land not being utilized that I think would really improve things for all wildlife if we could get an understory...
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue May 05, 2009 2:50 pm

As I said, I have access to this young guy who is a conservationist and has a lot of experience with burns. It seems to me that a burn might help your situation but he is the expert.

I'm attending his wedding this weekend. I'll pull him aside and tell him my buddy Goose needs some advice. I might even ask him when they let guests take the mic and toast the happy couple.

Why would I do that? A D&DH geek has to keep it real!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 pm

I'd think that'd be a good idea as long as you don't burn the county down!  I know those pine needles burn good!
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed May 06, 2009 11:14 am

LOL! keep it real JPH !

I think i have heard of it, you just DO NOT want to get the crowns on fire! Seems it would be tough to keep under control though....JPH what are you, one of your trucks, and some co workers doing this next weekend[;)] take the team on a field trip?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements