Bio Logic?Antler King?Whitetail Institute?Tecomate Annual?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DeerCamp

Bio Logic?Antler King?Whitetail Institute?Tecomate Annual?

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:33 am

Im thinking of making a food plot at one of my hunting spots up nort. Lots of snow and can be very cold. I was wondering what you all thought of Bio Logic?Antler King?Whitetail Institute?Tecomate Annual? etc... What would you think is the best.. I heard there is a seed you can grow and nothing will eat it until it gets cold out and the chemical balance in the plant changes and then they go nuts over it as well.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

stumpsitter66

RE: Bio Logic?Antler King?Whitetail Institute?Tecomate Annual?

Postby stumpsitter66 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:30 am

That would be just about any brand of brassica. One of my buddies plants quite a bit of food plots and he has had very good success with Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover and Secret Spot. Those are different types of plants, however. For late season plots he like their new one. I think it is called somethng like Wintergreen or something like that.

Old Stumpsitter

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:58 am

Brassica, Rape, Turnips, are all good late season plots. I will be using the "shot plot" from one company and it has all 3 of those things in it. And its only like 12 bucks for like 1.5 acres or something. Can't really beat that price. And even if you don't want to plant that big of a plot you can use most of it for a 1/2 acre or what not. I have also heard good things about Whitetail's "Winter Greens" and "Secret Spot" as well. There are so many options out there! Good luck, hopefully this helps a little.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:06 am

ORIGINAL: stumpsitter66

That would be just about any brand of brassica. One of my buddies plants quite a bit of food plots and he has had very good success with Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover and Secret Spot. Those are different types of plants, however. For late season plots he like their new one. I think it is called somethng like Wintergreen or something like that.

Old Stumpsitter

Yup, it's called Wintergreens.  Last year was my first year planting actual food plots for deer and I put some Biologic Maximum out.  Turned out excellent and would highly recommend planting.  Not quite sure what all I'm planting this year, but I have some leftover seed from last year so I'll for sure be putting that out.
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:08 am

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

Brassica, Rape, Turnips, are all good late season plots. I will be using the "shot plot" from one company and it has all 3 of those things in it. And its only like 12 bucks for like 1.5 acres or something. Can't really beat that price. And even if you don't want to plant that big of a plot you can use most of it for a 1/2 acre or what not. I have also heard good things about Whitetail's "Winter Greens" and "Secret Spot" as well. There are so many options out there! Good luck, hopefully this helps a little.

Did you plant 'shot plot' last year at all? I'd be interested to know how that turned out, or anyone else that has experience.  I thought someone was talking about this in another thread...Maybe it was Goose, can't remember. 
QDM!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:57 am

Buckhunter,

No i did not unfortunately. This is my first year making preparations for food plots, im hoping to be tilling and broadcasting the first weekend of april! :) getting pretty excited! But im sorry i wish i could help ya out more! I'll for sure let you know how they turn out and post some pics when the time comes this fall/winter!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:38 am

I copied a post I made to put in here, sorry its kind of long

Last spring we planted a bunch of different things (replanted and planted for the first time in some locations). The best thing I found was Imperial Whitetail Clover. (I had so many trail cam pics from there including some nice bucks)

We also planted 2 bags of Secret Spot (one came out good the other didnt, did see deer eating both but not for long on the one that didnt come up well)

We also had another field with a mix of chickory,clover, and other blends from a local wildlife store (it was right next to the imperial clover and while we got pics in it they were hitting the imperial colver alot harder).

In another location I planted Evolved Habit Great Lakes b/c it was suppose to be good for northern climates. It was clover and brassicas. I was really excited to try brassicas since they are suppose to become really sweet after a hard frost and deer will eat them and I was hoping they would give me an edge in the late season. They were coming in great but after they got about 6 inches tall or so insects nailed them and they were all gone except for the stem like part so just keep an eye on them if you plant them. The deer would eat at this location at times but not as often.

We also planted alfafa right next to my uncles house since there is a big field there. The field is not hunted we just wanted it to draw the deer in our area and stay around. Every night for weeks we had 3 bucks, (a 5pt, 4pt, and spike) and does eating in the field and it was awesome to watch them from the deck. One main thing I recommend is that you use Round Up or a weed killer. My uncle didnt want to use it this field due to the location of his well and alot of other stuff grew back up that the deer werent really eating.

I also put in some apple trees (10 if I recall) and put Mossy Oak biologic Green Patch Plus in between them. This wasnt the best soil for the Green Patch Plus and it didnt really come up that great. I did get a few deer cam photos there though.

I put in some oats and those seemed to get hit when there was snow on the ground but it was an old seed I had and alot of it didnt come up

This is the run down on the food plots we had. They varied in size from X number of square feet to several acres.

Goose talked me into trying out Shot Plot by Evolved Harvest. I bought a 2 acre bag at Gander Mountain for $40 and also bought some more Imperial Whitetail Clover. I also bought another Evolved Harvest clover blend to try as well since it was on sale. Cant wait to get out there and plant again!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

wack

Postby wack » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:01 am

I see a lot of you are using expensive national brands of seed and spending a lot of money. I haven't tried many of the brands that have been mentioned, it's been a few years since I had a place to plant, but when I see you guys spending bookoo bucks on seed and then coming back and finding it didn't grow very good, I figured I'd share one of my secrets. Kester's Wild Game Food Nurseries just outside of Omro on 116.
 Like I said, it's been a few years but this is a family opperation, been around for a long time and they've been very helpful to me. Soil tests, knowing what to plant when, where and how.  For example, I brought in a soil sample for a sandy soil, pine tree forest common to Wisconsin but hard to get anything growing. I got a mix and some white clover. My friend went to fleet farm and got some national brand, his bag of seed was like $40, my bag of seed from kester's was about $7. Kester's seeds came with a powder seed coat, the national brand did not, and the Kester's seed covered more ground, and did better throughout the year.
 For those of you that have found a seed brand you like, I probably wouldn't change brands all at once but I would try a few test plots. They have seed for all kinds of wildlife, including water plants and is one local business worth checking out. I found them when I lived in Fla and met a person who ordered Kester's seeds for there parrots. Shipped to Fla from Wisconsin and there seed was still half the price as seed from a Fla pet store and much better in quality. We've used there Parrot Deluxe mix for years, if you have any kind of birds for pets, you need to check out Kester's.  http://www.kestersnursery.com/index_files/Page645.htm
American by birth, hunter by choice.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:12 am

Like them already..first pic is of buck wheat...[:D]

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks Wack, I 'll give them a shot

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements