Bio Logic?Antler King?Whitetail Institute?Tecomate Annual?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
GTOHunter

RE: Bio Logic?Antler King?Whitetail Institute?Tecomate Annual?

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:36 pm

I like to use many different Brands and Types of Seeds to see what the Deer like,we have used the Bio-Logic Green Patch Plus,the Shot Plot,Hot Spot and Secret Spot seeds too.I like to use the Brassicas and Purple Top Turnip seeds for late Fall planting,the prices will vary and you can save money by buying the seed at local bulk seed Stores or by waiting til they go on sale.I have found the Pennigton Clover Trio seeds to be very good and the Whitetail Institutes White Clover.We planted 30 lbs of mixed clover (Ladino,Red and White) this Spring in our Food Plots and on a few logging roads to fill in where it was thinned out from the Deer eating all the brassicas and turnips out of them.This Fall we're going to try planting pumpkins and possibly some sugar beets too.We also planted our food plots on our Farm with Buck Foraging Oats,wheat,peas and some chicory and clover to blend it up a little. 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:07 pm

GTOHunter, how do you like that Green Patch Plus?  I've thought of using that!
QDM!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:40 pm

I like the Green Patch Plus...it has a good mixture of different plant seeds and there is a large amount of seed for the price!We also like to add some turnips seeds with it in the Fall and as I've said before it helps to try different types of plants to see what the Deer like the best.Maybe I can get the hang of posting pictures on this computer and will post pic's of last years plots and the new ones we have planted this Spring? [&:] [;)]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Yea, if you can get some pics up that'd be great!

I've heard some good things about GPP.  From what I hear it has a summer and fall blend in it that can work almost year around...Something to think about!
QDM!

sagittarius

Postby sagittarius » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:16 am

Keep in mind that it is very, very, rare for any of these brand name seed packagers to actually produce any of there own specific individual seed varieties. Most of them all purchase specific seed from the same, few, mega wholesale seed producers.  [/align] [/align]Tecomate used to buy some of its seed from Barenbrug, a huge international seed developer/producer.   Then Barenbrug bought the Tecomate seed packaging and distribution business.   Barenbrug also sells seed to everybody else.   [/align] [/align]There is no such thing as a do everything, grow anywhere, year round, big deer secrete magic seed blend.   Best thing you can do is learn about the individual plants, where, when, how, and why they grow, and why the deer prefer them.   Don't get too caught up in brand name seed packaging marketing hype.   JMHO[/align]
"The real problem is not how we shall handle the deer in this emergency. The real problem is one of human managment. Wild life managment is comparatively easy; human management difficult." Aldo Leopold, March 1943

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Well said Sagittarius......another thing a friend of mine noticed was that some high-dollar priced seed companies have the fertilizer coating over the seed to help with them in getting an early/better start in growing,this is all great but your paying for the weight of the fertilizer along with the high price of seed so in fact your getting less seed for your money.I have found if you watch and wait for the Brand Name seeds to go on sale you can get a good bargain and a lot of seed for your money compared to buying seed at a large Feed Store,you can also save money by buying the same seeds in bulk at the same large Feed Stores like MFA,Co-op and so on.Some of the larger Feed Stores don't carry certain seeds that I may want so I look for the best bargain I can find be it checking each store prices when I'm in town,reading the local adds in the news paper or looking over the internet for some prices too,only downfall on that is your going to be charged for shipping.If I have good results with a certain brand name of seeds regardless of the price I'm going to go with that brand that produced the best results for my money!

When we plant Food Plots on our Lease we all buy a certain amount of seeds,lime and fertilizer then split the cost to make it more affordable and each person shares on the Labor/Work involved in planting. 

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements