Winter Food Plots

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Goose

RE: Winter food plots

Postby Goose » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:20 am

First off Welcome! You might want to post this in a different area though to get some replies like here...... http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tt.aspx?forumid=14

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Fisher08

Winter Food Plots

Postby Fisher08 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:14 pm

I have great success in Ohio until the rut is over, During pre-rut there are an abundance of acorns on the properties I hunt.  What can I plant for an effective winter food plot in small clearings in the woods?  I have tried clover but the deer abandon it when acorns drop and don't return.  Thanks!!

GTOHunter

RE: Winter Food Plots

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:51 pm

I heard that the "Winter Greens" from the Whitetail Institute does really good...other than that we plant turnips,brassicas and rape seed for fall food plots that draw the deer in really good.Another easy plant to get growing and it will last all winter long is the winter wheat!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Id look into winter rye, easy to establish and they will hit it hard in the early winter along with spring.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:35 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Id look into winter rye, easy to establish and they will hit it hard in the early winter along with spring.

Goose just curious, why winter rye over Brassicas, turnips or Rape seed?  Mu understanding was the brassicas are good into the winter?  Is the winter rye a heartier better choice and how do you think it would do in the Northeast? Thanks!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 am

The brassica's will work great if you can get them to grow in the woods. The deer might also wipe them out in smaller plots.
Rye IMO is the easiest to grow and establish on any type of soil or location. It will also tolerate heavy grazing.
Just make sure its winter rye/cereal rye and not rye grass.
If your looking for a quick and easy thing rye should work for you but if you can get brassica's to grow and get established they will work great.
Jake

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:21 am

Ok thanks buddy...yeah this would be for a deep woods plot i.e. create a small clearing deep inside the property.  Would this be good year round...or should I consider planting clover as well?

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:00 am

Well, what I'm gonna plant this year is a mix of white clover and rye, it would work either way. Rye is used as a second crop and is best planted at the end of Aug. here in WI, the clover can be planted then as well but you will not see any of it till the following year because it focuses on it's root growth first. So rye would be a good cover crop for it.
Oats would work as well but dies off with the frost.
White clover especially durana grows in shaded areas better than the others.
I'm assuming its a deciduous forest or hardwoods so when the leaves drop it'll get more sunlight and should work.
Being a smaller in woods plot I'd spend the little money and put down some fert and whatever is needed to optimize your odds.

Jake

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:00 am

ok thanks...sounds along the lines of what i was thinking.  yes its a mix of hardwoods and pines.  The plot is going to be small probbaly about a 1/4 acre maybe less.  My thought was to plant the clover in the spring and then over seed it with the rye in the summer....will this work or do i really need to keep them seperated?  I planned to get a soil test done and based on the results lime and fertilize as needed.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:14 pm

That should work.....good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Jake

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements