Winter Food Plots

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
GTOHunter

RE: Winter Food Plots

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:13 pm

We actually planted brassicas,clover,wheat and foraging oats last Fall in a small food plot (around 1/4 acre) up on an open Ridge Top,the Deer ate up all the brassicas this past Fall and Winter.We went back up there about 2 weeks ago (April 5) we frost seeded 3 types of clover up there where the wheat and foraging oats were coming up to help fill in any bare spots.Hopefully the clover will grow thick there and we can go back in this next August and plant more clover and brassicas? 

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:06 pm

It's recommended to not plant brassica's in the same location for 2 years in a row because they are very susceptible to diseases and insects if you do plant them in the same location in 2 consecutive years.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 am

Can't say I've ever heard that Goose...Guess we'll find out this year since I'm putting that Maximum in the same spot as last year. 
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:28 am

Look into it, its strongly recommended not to plant them 2 years in a row.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks for the info buddy I'll do some research!
QDM!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:57 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

It's recommended to not plant brassica's in the same location for 2 years in a row because they are very susceptible to diseases and insects if you do plant them in the same location in 2 consecutive years.

Glad you posted that as I was unaware, but had heard msbadger talking about rotating what you plant in off years.  Looks like the Rye/clover mix gave me that alternative..thanks again Goose.

sagittarius

Postby sagittarius » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:30 am

In northern WI, Rusk and Price counties, deer pound our turnip/brassica plots so they never reach maturity. 

In SE WI, the deer never touched the turnip/brassicas even through the winter.   So I tried Roundup Ready Sugarbeets.   Starting early December the deer were in them every night.   Even digging through 24" of snow to eat the tops of beets down to the frozen ground.   I plan on doing a larger RR sugarbeet plot this year.
"The real problem is not how we shall handle the deer in this emergency. The real problem is one of human managment. Wild life managment is comparatively easy; human management difficult." Aldo Leopold, March 1943

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:51 am

Where did you get your RR sugarbeats at....And who makes them?  I might split them in a plot this year with some brassicas.
QDM!

sagittarius

Postby sagittarius » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:30 am

I don't know who is producing the Roundup Ready seeds for the sugarbeet industry, or who is packaging the BuckGro seeds for the foodplot market.

For 2008 they were only available at http://www.deerattraction.com/Sugarbeet.htm

For 2009 they were trademarked with the name "BuckGro" "Roundup Ready" Sugarbeets.  Now they are available at both ....
[ul][*]http://www.deerattraction.com/Sugarbeet.htm
[*]http://www.midwestwildlife.com/buckgro.php[/ul]
However, to purchase, you do need to have signed a Monsanto Stewardship Agreement, just as required for purchase of RR corn or RR soybeans.
"The real problem is not how we shall handle the deer in this emergency. The real problem is one of human managment. Wild life managment is comparatively easy; human management difficult." Aldo Leopold, March 1943

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements