travel lanes

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
jonny5buck

travel lanes

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:12 am

i have had pretty good success here in illinois with modifying travel lanes ,or making new fingers off of them.On 6 acres of private i hunt, the deer have established lanes from years of travel.Its amazing what you can accomplish with a hand saw, and  hand pruners.I like to simply open up the existing trails with pruners so my shoulders dont touch & no briars snag the pants.I also modify the trail to make deer travel at an angle to the trees my stands are in.This takes some thinking, i usually stand at that tree & take a look& stand where the deer w/be while kneeling to get there perspective on it. Then i hang my stand sit in it,then have a friend w/pole pruner cut any obstructions. Then most importantly, get the heck outta there . Back off .Modify trails to your advantage in the spring has always been my easiest , most under looked strategy.GIVE it a try.

GTOHunter

RE: travel lanes

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:00 pm

I cleared out a long path in the woods behind my ladder stand and down from the lower field up to the same open field where my stand is located...I've already found several Deer tracks on the trail and have trail camera pictures of several Deer on the same trail behind my stand so it does work and it proves that Deer will travel the easiest route if not interupted.This coming Fall when we hang our stands for Rifle Deer Season I plan on setting up close to an area where the Deer are known to cross the fence..where I plan on pulling down the top wire and tieing it off to the next strand so the Deer have an easier place to jump over. [:D]

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements