What tools...

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

What tools...

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:39 am

What tools do you use to get your plots done?
I started out small with rakes and tillers... hand saws.....ect

Now I use the big JD with a disc and still use a drop spreader ...harrow drag.... stihl saws...bush hog...but Mr. B just brought home this for me...Now I can trailer it up and go to camp.... it has front ..mid and rear PTO and a mower deck and front grading/snow blade...he's looking for a tiller...and ppl say boys with their toys....I'll take this over clothes and shoes any day [;)][:)]....

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0309.jpg" border="0" alt="my new plot toy"></a>

buckhunter21

RE: What tools...

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:53 am

I can't see the picture since I'm at work and it's blocked, but we use all the traditional equipment.  My family has a hobby farm and that's where I hunt so we have it all there.  Disks, plows, cultipackers, etc etc.  Feel pretty lucky and blessed to not have to go out and buy all these things myself.  Also, I'm getting a few smaller spreaders and sprayers since I find it works better in some of the smaller plots versus using the bigger machinery all the time!
QDM!

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:48 am

OK. Here is the list of tools.

1- 17 hp diesel Yanmar tractor
2- 30 hp diesel Kabota tractors
1- 44 hp diesel IH tractor
Various implements for these tractors to include brush hogs, 2 bottom plows, tillers, disc harrow, chisel plows, spreaders, sprayers and seeders.
2- 4 wheelers, 1- 750cc and 1- 400cc.
Various implements for these as well. Disc harrow, sprayers, spreaders, cultipaker and utility trailers, trail mower.
Also various hand tools. Hand crank spreader, rakes, shovels etc.

I have a tendency to stick with the ATVs and attachments though.
I am sure that I have forgotten a few things though.

Yes. Boys and their toys!  

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Nice Tractor MSBadger.....looks like your going to have many years of fun using it! [;)]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:01 pm

ORIGINAL: northernVT

OK. Here is the list of tools.

1- 17 hp diesel Yanmar tractor
2- 30 hp diesel Kabota tractors
1- 44 hp diesel IH tractor
Various implements for these tractors to include brush hogs, 2 bottom plows, tillers, disc harrow, chisel plows, spreaders, sprayers and seeders.
2- 4 wheelers, 1- 750cc and 1- 400cc.
Various implements for these as well. Disc harrow, sprayers, spreaders, cultipaker and utility trailers, trail mower.
Also various hand tools. Hand crank spreader, rakes, shovels etc.

I have a tendency to stick with the ATVs and attachments though.
I am sure that I have forgotten a few things though.

Yes. Boys and their toys!  

A lot of fun toys here northernVT!  Do you farm by chance or are these just for your food plots?
QDM!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:49 pm

I wish I has access to all those toys lol!

Right now I have an assortment of garden rakes [;)] my friends atv with a disc implement and culti-packer, weed whipper with a heavy duty brush attachment thing, its weird, but useful lol! And small 2 lb seed broadcaster lol! Looking to borrow a rototiller for a weekend here to get the in woods plots tilled up.

I envy you guys! One day....lol!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:07 pm

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

I wish I has access to all those toys lol!

Right now I have an assortment of garden rakes [;)] my friends atv with a disc implement and culti-packer, weed whipper with a heavy duty brush attachment thing, its weird, but useful lol! And small 2 lb seed broadcaster lol! Looking to borrow a rototiller for a weekend here to get the in woods plots tilled up.

I envy you guys! One day....lol!

Theres nothing wrong with that, your doing more than most and I give you credit for that!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:33 pm

I'm gonna be using a good old fashioned rake and sore muscles![:D]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:18 am

NVT...those are BIG toys...but you have some big areas to plant....the big JD we have is great for using the backhoe and bucket but I still use the small stuff more....We have a 2 bottom plow as well but when we did a test run with it ...sooo many...big rocks were exsposed I said take it off....I'd have to hire a rock picker to come in if we used it[:o]...so now its spray and disc

GTO...ya I think this little JD will be handy...We have to get a wider trailer though...the deck is 5' and too wide....I have a Case about the same size...that is my favorite....the mower deck floats and is much better on our rough terrain and it can haul alot of manure or fire wood...no PTO though....

DoeEyed ...I still rake by hand and it's better than any gym...and I can see  some of what I accomplished before the muscles get sore...lol[;)]

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:49 am

Thanks Goose! Now if the weather would only cooperate! [:@] 3 inches of snow on the ground over night on sunday and it's still coming down :( I should expect that by now though...[8|]
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements