The Key to Lush Food Plots

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Ben Sobieck

The Key to Lush Food Plots

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:50 am

by Dan Schmidt, editor

You've killed the weeds, raked away the brush and broke the soil for your food plot. It's time to plant some seeds, right?

Wrong!

Each year, many well-intentioned hunters and landowners make the mistake of planting food plots without learning their soil's pH levels. This is a huge mistake that wastes time and money.

A plant's survival depends strictly on the soil's fertility level. The pH level gauges the soil's acidity. On a scale of 1 to 14, 1 is acidic, and 14 is alkaline. Neutral soil - 7 - is the optimum level for plant growth. Low pH levels prevent plants from absorbing nutrients. The pH levels in fallow fields with sandy soil commonly range from 4.7 to 5.4. Lime applications can bring these levels closer to the neutral range. It isn't necessary to
get to 7, but the closer you are, the more productive your plots will be.

Tests are inexpensive and easy to complete. The easiest way to get your soil tested is to visit your local farm co-operative.

PrairieShadow

RE: The Key to Lush Food Plots

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Our fearless leader nailed it!!

I've been there done, done that! Never again will i NOT spend the 12 bucks for a soil test!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Got most of the soil tests done! My buddy just has to do his half [8|] lol! But mine are ready to go and I cant wait to start tilling! April is finally here and I hope all goes well for you guys!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:11 am

Dem, I was just about to start working on my plots this year and BAMMM! 13 inches of snow!

Maybe next week[8|]
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:39 am

I'd quite agree.  The other thing is to make sure you pick stuff that's tolerant of your soil's normal PH range to begin with.  I have a neighbor who's liming like crazy to keep his plot in the proper range for alfalfa.  However, it keeps dying out on him.  On the other hand, I'm planting  ladino clover over on the next ridge, with no liming and I've got to beat the deer away with a stick so I can get to my stand.

We both went through the same state biologist, but we interpreted what he told us differently. I was looking for cheap and easy. My neighbor was looking for maximum impact.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:45 am

What advice do you guys have for food plots in marsh ground that may flood from time to time.
Crop land is so valuable in WI that the only places I can get for food plots is the leftover garbage land. I don't need the food source until late fall after all the regular crops are harvested.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:00 pm

Ah man that sucks Prairie! [:(] I would of been very disappointed for sure. Were supposed to get some snow tonight and Monday [:@] no where near 13 inches though! I was gonna get started tilling and liming a little tomorrow, as well as scout around for turkey season, but I don't think I should do the tilling and liming if we get some tonight an again on monday :( Or should I still go for it? Stupid weather! I can't wait until school is done with i'll have so much more time to get to work on this and not have weather ruin the couple days a month I take off to do this stuff. I have seriously taken 3 weekends off to get going and it snowed 8 inches the first weekend, another 4 the second time and now this crap, its April for gods sake lol! Sorry if that sounds like excuses, I'm not meaning it to, just unfortunately stating facts [:(]
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Pickleguy

I would look into a product from Whitetail Institute "Extreme" i think it's called, or the equivilent of it. It's supposed to thrive in any condition, dry or wet. I'm not sure on what to do about the soil and land itself since I am pretty new to this as well. But that be something to look into!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Pickleguy- Welcome!

White clover especially durana will last up to a week under water but not much longer.
American Jointvetch will tolerate more water than white clover.
Those are the only ones I can think of....

Don't be afraid to stop by the WI forum under State by State.
There's a land management thread started there....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:30 am

Found this on the web....scroll down and you'll find some good info on seed choices..... Well the link won't work and it was an interesting read...so tried 2 other ways and heres what I have to do...if you want to see....Google ...deer food that will handle flooding....when page pops up scroll down to 8th topic line.."pastures and forage for whitetail deer.....then scroll down a bit on that page or read....it's a good read but you'll find detailed list of seeds to plant and where

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements