All most that time of year again....

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DeerCamp

All most that time of year again....

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:53 am

First off I wanna start by saying I am new to this so.. Id like to get as much info on it as I can.. I know its getting time for Minerals to be put out.. I know that there is still a few months left, but I want EVERYTHING DONE RIGHT! I want to know what to do when it comes that time.. But what do you do to make your own Mineral areas for the deer? When do you put them out? My deer season is from Oct 1st to Jan 1st. Where should I put them? And do I put them out by them selfs? or should one add corn to it to get them to the area? I will be putting mine up in the UP so Im fine with the who baiting thing.. I wont be using this as bait I just want to improve the deer antler growth in my area. Thanks.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

cbhunter

RE: All most that time of year again....

Postby cbhunter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:25 am

I refresh mine at the beginning of May, but since its already established deer are already hitting it alittle. I'll put a trail cam over it about June,this is when I've seen the most activity. I refresh it about every other month till Sept.(this is when i've seen activity go way down and deer season starts at the end of the month).
   As far as where to put it, I put mine on trail that i can get to easily. I wanted the deer to find it and cause I put the trail cam over it I wanted a low impact site.
   To prepare the site I just rake all the leaves and sticks from the area(3x3 square). Then I mix the minerals into the ground with the rake. I've seen some minerals recommend adding water when you first put them out. I use Vita Rack 26 and doesn't say I need to do this.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:44 am

DeerCamp
I use 30-06 plus protein. If making a new site, I make it near existing trails and the deer will find it in no time. I never make lick sites in open fields. Deer will use the lick more if it's in some cover. I use a "Garden Claw" to mix the minerals into the soil. I usually buy the 20 bag of minerals but only put out 5 pounds initially, and use the other 15 to refresh the lick as the season progresses. After about 4 years, the deer will have a large enough area dug out that I often haul dirt in to fill the crater in. The attached picture shows a doe in a five year old lick. Note the doe is pregnant and the picture is dated Sept 8th. This was in Alabama and that is normal for pregnant does

coach

Postby coach » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Staging area is a good spot.  Not only do they use this all year round...but it may also help during the hunt.

In early spring...make sure you have something high on sodium.  Then when the months goes by...you can give the extra mineral for flavour and treat.

Deer lack sodium (table salt) in the spring because of the new growing plants, leaves...ect have actually more protein and water content then salt.

It worked for me.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:35 pm

I have a lot of luck with deer cocaine in northern Pennsylvania. I usually start putting it out in early April and quit around october. My spots are already established and some of them are holes like in the picture above. I started them on or near obvious trails, with a lot of cover nearby, so the deer would be comfortable visiting them. I dont hunt over them (not legal here), I just wanted to draw deer to the area and improve the health of those already there.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements