plans plans and more plans

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

plans plans and more plans

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:32 pm

I don't know about you but I always have far more plans made than time to do them...but it seems to be a yearly ritual...I'm still recovering from walking pnuemonia...I came down sick pretty much christmas eve....Today was the first day I spent any serious time out side other than feeding and watering livestock...my my downed trees and a good look at deer movement on trails....They have been seriously hitting the turnips and rape seed..I have many waste trees to remove and branches to trim....glad we left the backhoe on tractor because I'm ordering more apples peaches and have decided to line one property line with a chainlink running to grape arbor fence....early spring I'll set the poles and run the tensil and stretch the chain link...promised a local business man that I'd bring my pruning saws up to his place and clear overhang branches on trails....and the guys at camp that I'd start a program down at camp [&o]..that one is going to be a toughy..they allowed the buckthorn to over run the valley...main thing there is to free up around the apple trees..start clearing trails....swampy...brushy and sooo steep....I'll start by getting my lungs back and go out a little each day to hand trim branches starting tomorrow....So what plans have you all made?

Patriot

RE: plans plans and more plans

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:50 pm

My hunting spot is 3 hours away (in-laws farm).  We do our best to get out there at least one weekend per month in the offseason.

Here's my list of to-do's:
[ul][*]have my wife (never bowhunted before) shoot from a treestand as much as possible
[*]rebuild an dilapidated treestand in "the old grove"
[*]put up at least one new ladder stand
[*]purchase 2 new ground blinds....trim up shooting lanes in new locations for the blinds
[*]have wife shoot from treestand
[*]have wife shoot from treestand[/ul]
oh....and have wife shoot from treestand.[:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:55 am

Hey Patriot I don't want to butt in on your personal life but it might be a good idea to get your wife to shoot a couple times from a tree. Just a suggestion.Image

Yes we've got alot of work as well ahead of us. But I absolutely love this stuff!!!!
-I would like at least five new sets up by early summer.
-We have a little group of dying pines I would like to lay down to start the new growth
-Lots of trees to plant
-Lots of wood to cut
-5 or 6 acres to plant
-shed hunt then shed hunt some more
-lots of scouting
-scoping
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:32 am

My hunting location is 2 hours away from me but we make regular trips during the offseason to improve the property.  Our deer season ends January 31st, our list of things to do will grow by then I'm sure.  Here is what I know we have to complete before the next deer season begins in mid October! 

Finish trail to access SW corner of the property, this will complete a trail around the entire 110 acre property line.
Plant 3000 new trees, this should be fun!
Build new deck for deer cleaning station
Clear dead trees and plant small fruit tree orchard near my stand
Build bridge to island in middle of the pond and evict the beavers
Plant Spring and Summer food plots soon after the season ends
Plant Fall and Winter Food Plots before the season begins
Clear shooting lanes to a few shooting houses
General upkeep of trails and shooting houses

That should be a good start, more projects will be added I'm sure when we all meet at camp for the next couple of hunting weekends before the season ends.

Xplorer

Postby Xplorer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:05 am

Finally done planting trees, figures since I just bought a post hole digger for the tractor. Only have 2 permanent stands set & want to build 2 or 3 more. Tired of my hang ons getting stolen. Gotta improve the access road to the property & put up a better gate.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:56 pm

This is the first year that i, well me and my hunting buddy have been getting ready to implement some QDM tactics and i have to say im really excited!! We have a lot of work to do but we are both totally up for it!!

[ul][*]LOTS of Hinge cutting and chopping of unwanted trees.[*]Putting the New Trail Camera's out and hopefully getting some great shots.[*]Making brush piles and thick cover areas out of those trees/brush we cut and hopefully the deer will end up using them for bedding and what not.[*]Shed hunting, Shed hunting Shed hunting, im really looking forward to this and getting to know the land better, i guess you could put post season scouting in the same boat as this.[*]Setting up 2 new tree stands/trimming lanes for em, and hopfully setting up a pop up blind as well, all of these will be between the two of us along with improving the other 2 spots we had last year.
[*]I want to plant about 5 acres of plots in some abondoned fields, but with cash flow and this being our first year it will prob be only about 3 or so acres. Hopefully we make the 5 tho.
[*]Also planting some in-the-woods food plots, 3 to be exact, with "Secret Spot" or something to that extent.[*]In a nutshell we just basically want to be as prepared as possible and out of the woods by the end of august at the latest. And hopefully by then we will  just be putting in some late season plots and mainly staying out of the woods unless were checking a camera.[/ul]Its going to be a great year! Im really excited!! i know its going to be a lot of work and everything, but i really want to get everything done and done right at that, this is going to be my most producuctive and most prepared off season so hopefully its my most productive hunting season as well!! Good luck to all of you in your excursions this off season and i hope whatever you want to get done gets done in a safe manner!!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:11 pm

Demoderby, You got a lot of work ahead of ya! You sound like you're doing the right things just don't expect them to happen over night. Keep at er and eventually it'll come together. Good Luck!
If your like me you'll come to love doing this stuff almost as much as hunting!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks Goose! Yeah i wish it could happen over night lol! That would be great, but hopefully everything works out and im able to stay around for a few more years and keep working at the land and keep improving on it. I really hope i enjoy doing this stuff! I don't see why i wouldnt but if i do like it i would like to do something with the whole land management thing as a career, that would be extremely cool!

Good luck to you as well! Sounds like you have a lot to do too and hopefully it all goes smoothly for ya!! I look forward to hearing how everything goes and hopefully we/ all of us can share some info with each other to help us all along thoughout the new season!!!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:16 pm

Man, where to start:

[ul][*]Figure out what I want to plant and where
[*]Buy seed
[*]Shed hunting
[*]Cut wood/put up new stand locations
[*]Get ground ready for planting/plant food plots
[*]Camera action!  (all year long!)
[*]Watch that velvet grow!!!!
[*]Cut some more wood
[*]Maintain food plots
[*]Get ready for another exciting hunting season...[/ul]
I will be shooting all year long as well!  Would like to join an archery league again.

Sure there's more....Hm.  [:D]
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:55 am

Always good to see what others have planned.  We started making our list in early December.

[font=calibri]1.[/font]       [font=calibri]Till ground for garden next to barn.[/font]
[font=calibri]2.[/font]       [font=calibri]Install outside lights and finish electricity in barn.[/font]
[font=calibri]3.[/font]       [font=calibri]Install door in loft area to replace center window for easier access to interior of barn and deck.[/font]
[font=calibri]4.[/font]       [font=calibri]Fell several trees in new plot area (use for firewood or leave for brush).[/font]
[font=calibri]5.[/font]       [font=calibri]Expand new plot to include area up to big oak and intersection of the alleyway.[/font]
[font=calibri]6.[/font]       [font=calibri]Plant numerous trees that will not grow or that the hay guy can mow over later in year.[/font]
[font=calibri]7.[/font]       [font=calibri]Mow and burn WSG.[/font]
[font=calibri]8.[/font]       [font=calibri]Put another coat of paint on barn.[/font]
[font=calibri]9.[/font]       [font=calibri]Mow, burn, fertilize and plant the bean field plot.[/font]
[font=calibri]10.[/font]   [font=calibri]Move tree stand from big oak in alfalfa plot to somewhere on the north side of the farm.[/font]
[font=calibri]11.[/font]   [font=calibri]Move one treestand in the new plot to somewhere else near the new plot, possibly big oak tree.[/font]
[font=calibri]12.[/font]   [font=calibri]Move the other new plot treestand so it faces more back toward the hilltop plot[/font]
[font=calibri]13.[/font]   [font=calibri]Move the NWSG stand someplace else so I can put a taller stand there.[/font]
[font=calibri]14.[/font]   [font=calibri]Fertilize and lime new plot, hilltop plot, alleyway between.[/font]
[font=calibri]15.[/font]   [font=calibri]Sure would like to burn area of new plot where I'm cutting trees to get through thatch and dead leaves to bare earth.  Maybe spread some clover around there.[/font]
[font=calibri]16.[/font]   [font=calibri]Till fence line so I can pretend to plant stuff there to block view from road.[/font]

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements