plans plans and more plans

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
frazor

RE: plans plans and more plans

Postby frazor » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Ranwinn, you mentioned cutting up fire wood or leaving it for brush. Not sure if you have thought of this or not, but that brush could be used to funnel the deer into exact entrance/exit locations of said field. Just thought I would throw that out there.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:43 am

Thanks for the suggestion frazor. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:14 am

Hee doggy...Mr B. just dropped off another 400ft of fencing...I'm in fencing heaven..[:D]....I've been gathering fencing for a few years now...had a friend of family sold his house and gave me all the fencinig he had to contain their dogs..... plus all the chain link I could muster.....Built huge kennel for our boys..2 130# male shepherds...son built a kennel for his dogs  ...a large kid pen for baby goats....now double fencing the 80x180 foot garden in 8ft high chainlink...over the american wire we had and the section of property that I've been wanting to plant but ppl next door would poach.....Lets see them drag a deer over 8ft high chain link...[;)]....thank heavens ppl next door got a post hole digger for their tractor

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:25 pm

In the area of some of my food plots I've been cutting branches off the maples and oak....This is where the old farmers had beans and they let it go back to hard woods before we bought it....young pole trees that I am trying to manage for future timber....It also is thinning the canopy so the plots get more sun and I've even got grass growing under the oaks now...well not now but in the warm weather [;)]...Anyhow too cold yesterday to work....but my walk showed me just how much the deer are eating buds off branches and the trails they'er using to get to the area

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:21 am

It's always great to get back into the woods to see what's going on.  I envy the opportunity.  Wish I could say I've started on our plans, but now thinking it might be March before I get back up to the farm.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Ranwin33 ...Ahhhh I went out cutting again today...it's a catch 22 ya know...more I do the more I see I could do [:o]..[;)]...any howthe deer are chompingaway on all the buds and soft twigs and I see we have a couple of resident buck by the sign I see....I have to get ahold of some home remodling companies in the area and see about getting a few more bath tubs.....I seal the over flow and then put in a rubber stopper and bury them to the rim with the backhole ....fill and theres a watering hole right next to the plot...no need to wonder off to get a drink ...

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Even though this is the slow period of the year for me, I find myself looking through countless web pages of seed companies.  I love thinking about what i might plant in my little food plots this spring.  I love walking my property when I can, (hell, i love walking public huntic land) and looking for sheds.  Turkey season is just around the corner, and am really looking forward to it (as usual.)  I;m really just ready to fire up the john deer and break up some ground.  get some food growing. 
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:57 am

Took some pics of a few limbs I've been cutting...deer have been hitting them hard and bedding near bye...

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0237.jpg" border="0" alt="limb trimming"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0239.jpg" border="0" alt="buds browsed"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0242.jpg" border="0" alt="a few of several beds"></a>

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:20 am

We need to finish cutting a shooting lane
build a deer stand
plant something in my shooting lane
trim apple trees
remove old wire fencing
clean and organize pole building
plant trees
cut deadfall for firewood
more shed hunting
get caught up on all my hunting mags...and the list goes on  and on   and on
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

zos41

Postby zos41 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:02 am

My plans are to cut the trees knocked down by the winter for firewood and haul back to the house. clear out my ATV trails so I can get to the fallen trees and workup my new food plots and annuakl plots, than lime them, fertilze them and get them ready to plant.

I also have 225 assoted trees to plant in various area, mostly as deer food.

I also need to till, lime and fertilizer the familey gardens for spring plantins

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements