Raking time

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

Raking time

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:06 am

The shoulders arms and elbow joints are getting a work out....time to rake ...as you all know I have many smaller plots in the woods so leaves fall...can't stop that[>:]....So raking is a must and we dried up enough to get it started...cleared one plot and the mix I put in is looking better than expected...even though this is an older plot and I thought ...Finally I got the weeds some what under control...nope!...but I think that the what I'll call radical mix will compete well this summer if I time my mowing right...started one of the turnip plots and I see that once raked and warmer weather starts there will be another erase spraying....but planned for that and a much bigger area as well
 then you have the rocks...hhhmmm I hate rocks...but the frost thaw heaving has exposed many more and shone some under lying biggies...I have a long (couple hundred yrds) narrow plot that got washed out in several places last year...so I'm raking rocks and will disc... drag and rake some more...adding lime again... then in late summer will plant spelt or winter rye we'll see...it is lined by ten ft on either side with wild blk and raspberries as well as wild elder and goose berries and winds through our woods...speaking of which I better get going

msbadger

RE: Raking time

Postby msbadger » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 am

Managed to get two of the plots finished before the rains started....very pleased on how things look....for as much as the deer hammered the plots and the length and many -10 degree and more.... days and nights they did well...need a bit of over seeding in a couple of spots which I'll do next week...Even though I was angry about the stripping I took with the burnett seed I'm really happy about how well it grew....Will be finding a differant suppler and purchasing more

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:54 am

Pics of progress............

"http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0292.jpg" border="0" alt="raked plot 3-18-09"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0288.jpg" border="0" alt="raked 3-18-09"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0286.jpg" border="0" alt="3-18-09"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0287.jpg" border="0" alt="3-18-09"></a>

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:10 am

Does'nt look like anyone else does these things ...so it's like my own little plot diary....Yesterday I went down and raked the buckwheat /rape plot...the deer left absolutley nothing in it...I'll need to take the stone rake down but now it'll dry faster...couple of older plots I raked and have the moss problem still...drive me crazy!but got most raked out and will spray for it again...raked the sheet moss off of 2 more areas to plant....cold weather coming back...see how dry it gets

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Ny sure has lots of rocks huh?[;)] it drove me nuts when i tried to do a food plot
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:02 am

I'm following your progress msbadger...what was in those plots before ...clover or brassicas?  Can't make it out...are those perranials or will you have to re-seed?  so next is discing, liming, fertalizing?  Sorry for all the Q's, I know just about zero when it comes to planting/growing/agri and I'd like to put a small plot on my property this spring, so I've been following your posts closely.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:23 am

AAAhh Joel ...we'er on the high side of where the glaciers came through while digging out the valleys....so ya know where all those rocks went...[>:]...lol

DeanoZ....some are annual  buckwheat/turnip and rape...others are mixed perennial...clovers/burnett/chicory/alfalfa......So yes...some spraying.... discing ...some rototiling...liming and fertalizer....then I hope to have a couple of new plots to spray a few times disc...lime disc...and plant buckwheat in....turnips for fall

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements