food plot overload NEED HELP!

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
cdn1

food plot overload NEED HELP!

Postby cdn1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:25 pm

I think I am suffering from info overload. First time plotter and I really don't know what to plant. Soil tests are done, plot sizes are known.
Ph is good 6-7.7 have about 5 acres to work on
plot 1: 3.45 acres
plot 2: 1 acre
plot 3: 1/2 acre
trying to decide what to plant to offer year round nutrition. But would like
have a couple of really atractive plots to draw in deer, in the fall for hunting.  I am also thinking of dividing the biggest plot into three appx 1 acre plantings. I am in Ontario northern zone appx Michigan's tumb latitude. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. would like to stick
with 3 or 4 seed types for my pocketbooks sake. and should I plant 1/2 acreage now and 1/2 later in the summer?? What type of fertilizer would you suggest. Sorry so many questions

shaman

RE: food plot overload NEED HELP!

Postby shaman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm a big fan of clover and wheat-- easy ,effective, cheap.    Annual rye will also work as a cover until the clover comes up, but it's more expensive.  I use ladino clover and yellow sweet clover.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Your best bet here is to diversify and put some in spring/summer plots (clovers, etc.), and then plant some for the fall/winter (brassicas, oats, wheat, etc. etc.).  Personally, this is the second year now that I've been putting in food plots.  My parents own a hobby farm so I've been helping with them plant 'regular' crops for their animals since I was about 2 feet tall, so I have a little experience.  Last year I planted Whitetail Institute's Alpha Rack Plus as my spring/summer plot, and then Biologic's Maximum (brassica) and Biomaxx (Round-up ready corn/soybeans) for my fall/winter mix.  I had some good success overall I think.  I do need to get the pH up a bit since some of this land that I put the plots in was in CRP the previous 20+ years.  Sounds like you won't be having a problem with that though..Good luck, and I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have!
QDM!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:36 am

So far so good sounds like...I'll just say this...because I have a strong opinion on ploting....If it's barren soil do your self  and wallet a favor and take care of the weeds up front...and that is going to take you time and a bunch of spaying....remember to disc the fields at its deepest in the begining and then any further discing should be a bit less deep and stay at that depth...weed seeds stay dormant for years and years each disturbance brings them to the surface to grow....if planting clover and you have a broadleaf weed problem then weed control through spraying won't be an option....you'll have to time your mowing before they go to seed....when growing you should try to stick with single type plantings to start....like all clover...all winter rye/wheat...braccs....unless you opt for the RR plants....for variety try strip plantings....with if your a bow hunter the annuals cloest to the wods you'll be setting up on....I still would go in that case buckwheat and then over seed in late Aug. with turnips...just before a rain....good luck...HAVE FUN...PS also check to see what local farms are planting and plant differant

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements