Clear shooting lanes...Now?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Goose

RE: Clear shooting lanes...Now?

Postby Goose » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:59 am

Right now is the best time to scout and get your stands ready, for reasons stated above and because the woods is still like it was in the fall. The foliage is gone so you can see what its gonna be like in Nov.
I don't know about you but I've set up stands in the summer then come fall and leaf drop you can pick the stand out a country mile away.
I personally think this is the time to do everything in the woods for next year. The rubs,scrapes, and trails should all still be there from last fall. The woods looks the same as it does in the fall, all making for the perfect time to set up your sets.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:03 am

I agree 100% with Goose.  Do your trimming now.  When the last summer comes you may need to trim a couple twigs / leaves here and there, but most of it should be all set.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:13 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Right now is the best time to scout and get your stands ready, for reasons stated above and because the woods is still like it was in the fall. The foliage is gone so you can see what its gonna be like in Nov.
I don't know about you but I've set up stands in the summer then come fall and leaf drop you can pick the stand out a country mile away.
I personally think this is the time to do everything in the woods for next year. The rubs,scrapes, and trails should all still be there from last fall. The woods looks the same as it does in the fall, all making for the perfect time to set up your sets.

Agreed, i've done a lot of post season scouting, which has been very productive...i still have a bit more to do but I've found old scrapes and rubs as a result...and what appear to be very productive spots for next year.  Next step will be to go in there and clear lanes in the next couple weeks.  In the summer I'll hang the cam in those spots and see if I can find me a mature buck.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:16 am

My stands stay up year around. Never had a problem with them at all.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:46 am

I'm strictly a Public Lands hunter, as I have no access to private land (at least at this time). Additionally, this will be my first year bow hunting. I'm planning on purchasing a climbing stand in August. According to MDWFP, only temporary stands can be used on Public Land. Additionally, nothing can be done that will damage the tree(s). I'm assuming this includes cutting shooting lanes. What should I look for in regards to a tree to use as a hunting spot this fall?  

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:52 am

ORIGINAL: MSHunter
I'm planning on purchasing a climbing stand in August. 

You may want to look twice before you buy a climber. I used one this year and it was not nearly as mobile or as quiet as I hoped it would be. Additionally, there were almost no trees in my hunting area that did not require some trimming work in order to allow the climber to get much more than 8-10 feet off the ground. Most climbing stand users carry a hand saw to trim off limbs as the ascend. Sounds like that would not be an option for you on public land.

If you are set on a climber, I would save my nickles and get a top end model. I don't think many brands can beat Lone Wolf in this regard. 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:59 am

I keep most of my stands up year around, and do most of my scouting early spring (this time of the year) before green up.  I'll check the stands now and again in the fall to make sure they are in good shape.  Do most if not all my trimming in the spring....Usually there isn't much to do since most of my stand sites are the same year to year.
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:20 pm

MSHunter- I have a summit climber and it serves it's purpose. It's heavy but comfortable.
As JPH stated they need the perfect tree and even then they will more than likely need trimming.
As far as cutting shooting lanes on public I recommend either tying branches or zip tying them back and out of the way. This is a good way to do it on private land as well, less disturbance and leaves some cover.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:02 pm

you definitely have less disturbance right at hunting time if you trim and put stands up now. if you have an area you know is a big buck bedding area, now is about the only time to do it. if you hang a stand now, leave it completely undisturbed all summer, and then just sneak in under perfect conditions when fall comes, you can really get tight in on a big buck. but in general, its a fine strategy. for sure want to check your lanes and make sure your stand or attachments didnt get damaged over summer, but otherwise i see no reason not to do it.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

If you are set on a climber, I would save my nickles and get a top end model. I don't think many brands can beat Lone Wolf in this regard. 

I'd have to agree with JPH here.  I bought a climber about 5 years ago not really knowing what I was getting into.  I can't remember what the name of it is, but it wasn't cheap.  Think it was about $200, BUT the one thing I don't like about it is that when I put it on my back (shoulder strap style), I almost have to walk with my waist bent forward so the bottom of the climber sits in the air a bit and doesn't scrape against the ground.  This prob. wouldn't be a problem I guess for someone taller than me.  I'm a bit short (5'8").  Lone Wolf has all-around great quality tree stands I think, whether they are climbers or hang-ons.  Spendy but you pay for what you get!
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements