Last minute

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Blazed

Last minute

Postby Blazed » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:47 pm

I have 1,5 months until frost. My turnips & rsape lookstunted. They are in sand with lime that hasn't taken efffect yet, and its been 4  years in a row that I've planted them. Is it worth throwing buckwheat in tomorrow to try to get something green for the early seasons?

GTOHunter

RE: Last minute

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:42 pm

I don't think it would hurt to top-dress the food plot with some buckwheat,at least you would have a little more to grow for the Deer to eat!

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:03 am

I top dressed with 10# Buckwheat. Supposed to rain tonight.
Luckily the groundhog radish is starting to fill in a little, but they have not hit it yet?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Hows that buckwheat growing ?...I thought I was done but the deer and turkey stripped the soybeans so all that was left was stems and some beans on the ground...I cut the soybeans to the ground  raked off the stems and late yesterday tilled (a bit of a mess ,but workable) the ground up....I laid down a heavy seeding of winter rye and raked it in...will do the same today on the other section...hopefully I won't have a repeat of the corn plot....left equipment out there to discourage the turkey[;)]...So what was soybean turnip soybean ...will be rye/ turnip /rye...just in time for the NY bow opener Oct 16th by the last week of bow that should be a nice thick draw....and right in front of pine pine stand set... and across from a pop up blind...turkey opens the second week of bow...hhmmm better check that  ...lol...Have a Great Season

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm

The BW got to the 4 leaf stage then frost hit. I had Rape Groundhog radish, BW, clover and bean stems . From Oct 21- Nov 6 The deer hit it hard. I had only Doe come in, though I think a buck was right on one's tail as she stepped out and I got a shot. I had 8 shots in 6 trips. All were missed. One at 10 yds from  the ground. Got deer fever as this was the first deer I saw in 23 hunts.  Then bam she's there After I missed the next 2 I practiced and sure enough pins were off. I then took a doe at 22 yds.

The groundhog radish is really something else. These things are 2.5 feet long and beer can width. Deer ate vthe tops and only touched a few roots.(so far, cause they would be excellent winter feed. Not much top growth on the GH radishes though maybe 12" 4-5 leaves.

Thinking Eagle beans next summer, but I like the RR for weed control. It will be interesting to see how the clover and chickery come through winter.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements