Anyone started......

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Blazed

RE: Anyone started......

Postby Blazed » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:51 am

MSG did you plant the buckwheat immediately after plowing? or did you plow, let the weeds sprout, then hit them with round-up before planting the buckwheat?

How was the weed growth with the buckwheat? I'm converting a weed field into turnips and like your idea, but the weeds really worry me.

Also, on another topic totally, I was reading a Food plot blog where I believe an Iowa hunter tested different food plot seeds  over the last 3 years. He tested the pre-pared mixes and found that one variety always outdid the others and eventually took over the plot. His idea then was you should just plant one variety, Say just turnips rather than a brassica mix because $$ is wasted on the varieties that don't compete. I've never planted a mix (that grew anyway) but have got single variety.

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:02 am

The brassica is Whitetail Institute Winter greens .. very similar to Biologic Maximum I think.  The other plot had corn as a border and soybeans (and some weeds) in the middle.

Anyone have any pictures of Bioligic maximum plantings or have you planted both brands?  Comments?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:46 am

Deerdown.... those are great looking plots...I'm surprised planting the braccs. in the spring.. they didn't go to seed...before the fall frost...you know once they go to seed ...frost or not ...deer loose interest....reason for the fall plantings...If you want a leafy bulb type plant for the summer try a Lutz beet....80+day growing season and the deer love to dig beets....other wise like I say I have such good luck with the buck wheat...which does need to be disc. in... in the spring and then over seed before a rain...or top dress as it were the braccs....the other thing about BW is it is such a fast grower ...you could do a spring planting and if the deer do hit it too hard just disc in more seed..(its cheep here) then top dress with braccs in the fall....Check out Welter seed and honey company and google buckwheat....you'll learn alot

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:02 pm

On a brand new field I weed kill wait a  10 days or so and then depending will spray again wait another 10 days then lime and disc...wait a weed and then spred the seed fertalize and disc the seed in...BW is fast and doesn't need too fertial a ground...Because we have very acid soil I use BW in all new plots few at least 2 years...the second year I'll take and instead of top dressing with turnips...I'll disc in winter spelt..(like winter wheat)...you'll get some weeds because any time you disturb a fiel your pulling up the dormant weed seeds ...but I've never had it be a problem...doing this for two to three years allows me to decide on perennial plants and whether to doe sinle..Clover or mixed plantings ...here is a pick of a mixed...

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0123.jpg" border="0" alt="jumbo clover and chicory"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0124.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/plotpicsAug004.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:06 pm

Wow sorry about spelling and too tired to fix...lol....hope you got what I was saying[:o]...been a long day

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:06 pm

ORIGINAL: deerdown

The brassica is Whitetail Institute Winter greens .. very similar to Biologic Maximum I think.  The other plot had corn as a border and soybeans (and some weeds) in the middle.

Anyone have any pictures of Bioligic maximum plantings or have you planted both brands?  Comments?

i planted some maximum last year and had great results...planting some more this year!
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:07 pm

no pictures though.  i'll have to take more pics of my plots this year...kind of forgot about doing it last year.
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:08 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

On a brand new field I weed kill wait a  10 days or so and then depending will spray again wait another 10 days then lime and disc...wait a weed and then spred the seed fertalize and disc the seed in...BW is fast and doesn't need too fertial a ground...Because we have very acid soil I use BW in all new plots few at least 2 years...the second year I'll take and instead of top dressing with turnips...I'll disc in winter spelt..(like winter wheat)...you'll get some weeds because any time you disturb a fiel your pulling up the dormant weed seeds ...but I've never had it be a problem...doing this for two to three years allows me to decide on perennial plants and whether to doe sinle..Clover or mixed plantings ...here is a pick of a mixed...

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0123.jpg" border="0" alt="jumbo clover and chicory"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0124.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/plotpicsAug004.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

wow, very nice plots!  what are they again?
QDM!

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:17 pm

Deerdown,
Very nice. I'm jealous. I'd love to have some land to hunt on and plant food plots.

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:06 am

Thanks for the tips badger ... I wasn't aware of brassica going to seed, definately something to keep in mind.  I appreciate the kind comments all regarding the plots.  I had lots of help from my hunting buddies as well!

MSHunter .. this is going to sound funny but I still enjoy going out into the big woods to hunt deer more so than around my land.  Weird eh?  I get a lot of satisfaction planning / planting and and seeing the deer hit the plots and you can't beat the convenience, but getting into the big woods can't be beat for me!

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements