Cover on Field Edge

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
deerdown

Cover on Field Edge

Postby deerdown » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:08 pm

I have a hay field which a portion of has been turned into a food plot (close to edge of woods).  There is quite a bit of open space around with a drainiange ditch and road surrounding it.  I am looking to plant some type of perennial grass/cover that would grow tall and thick to reduce visibility from road and give the deer some more cover.  It would be nice if it could stay standing late into the season as well.  Any suggestions on what might work for this ... I am located in Northern Ontario?  Thanks,
It's a fine line between passion and obsession ... my wife reminds me of this each fall

Goose

RE: Cover on Field Edge

Postby Goose » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Sorghum came to mind...there are many types of grasses that you could try to grow. I would ask a local co-op.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:13 pm

I've heard a lot about switch grass too...I'm actually thinking of putting some of that in maybe this year since we have a problem of reaching one of our properties w/out being hidden.  Just big open fields before the woods. 
QDM!

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:00 am

I have a 50 acre hay field on my property as well.  Did the same thing as you are talking about in terms of putting a food plot on a hidden back side next to some woods.  I planted a mix of four seeds this last year in the plot and the deer wore it out.  I mixed two types of clover, red and white(ladina),  I then mixed alfalfa, and chicory.  Alfalfa was 10 pounds per acre, Chicory 3 pounds per acre, and both cloverw were 4 pounds per acre.  You can get these numbers from any seed dealer.  I play with mine a little, by adding more of some and less of others.  The whole thing cost me less than 40 dollars an acre.  Not too bad I guess for something that you don't have to plant every year.  Hope this lasts about 4 or 5 years actually.  Hope that helps a little maybe.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:04 pm

Switchgrass does seem like a good fit.  I have a similar problem with stand entry/exit due to the openness.  Thanks for the advice

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Switchgrass gets pretty tall too so I think it'd be a great solution...Keep us posted on how it works out if you end up going that route!
QDM!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:17 pm

I have the same problem as a lot of you guys lots of open fields while walking to my stand, no cover at all really, planting some of the stuff yo mentioned might do a world of good! Thanks!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements