The role of CRP Fields...

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DeanoZ

The role of CRP Fields...

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:03 am

Being a northeast city boy I must admit until recently I had no idea what a CRP field was and its role in Agriculture/Farming/Hunting.  For those of you who have/hunt CRP fields, what role have they played (if any) in your QDMA?  What are the beneifts/ disadvantages?

PrairieShadow

RE: The role of CRP Fields...

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:39 am

Here in SD the trees are few and far between. CRP provides great cover for deer as well as pheasants, grouse, and any other critter for that matter.

The original purpose for CRP(at least here) was to stop land erosion and the land you want to enroll still has to have some amount of land erosion for it to be allowed into the program, but about 95% of all land here will qualify.

Not really sure of any downsides to it. Unless the land would be good farm ground, then you can no longer farm it but that is not usually the case. maybe another downside is that CRP provides cover for, fox,coyote, skunksa nd a host of other varmints.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:15 am

CRP fields are good bedding, nesting and cover areas for a large variety of wildlife. I will often see birds of prey hunting over them. Since they are made of native grasses, flowers and vegetation they also provide some food for smaller animals and birds. I have seen deer browsing in them as well.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:25 am

CRP fields as i understand them are farm lands that the goverment has subsidized the farmer not to put into production to increaese wildlife and to help reduce erosion near water ways such as rivers and wet lands

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:04 pm

If you own an area that has CRP how are you compensated by the govt.,?
Is it the same as if you were to plant the area with crops? Or is it a set amount per acre?

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:34 pm

It is a set amount per acre and varies greatly from field to field.

Land that is prime farm ground will bring more from the CRP program than say a alkali ridden field.

I believe the average price in SD is right around $60 an acre and you get an annual payment.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Most of the farmers around here are signing up for a variation of CRP called CREP (conservation reserve enhancement program) it's mostly bottomlands or pretty much any field that's drainage is directly into a stream, lake or river (eviromentally sensitive land).  The fields are planted in warm season grasses and do not require any mowing like CRP fields, they also pay better,  most around here are bringing $140 an acre.  The program has been around for 4 or 5 years now and you can definately see a increase in the wild pheasant population here locally. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:12 pm

CREP has alot more strict requirements for enrollment though.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:37 pm

It does, Fortunately most farms around here have some sort of small creek, stream or drainage running through them that qualifies them for the funding.  It's a great program, I believe Pheasants forever plays a big role in it. Hopefully the new administration continues to support goverment programs like this.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements