On the way to your stand

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
ReflexHunter

On the way to your stand

Postby ReflexHunter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:05 am

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to create good cover on the way into a stand.  The situation I am working on is in a fairly mature forest with some white pines coming up.  I have considered planting trees but was wondering if there was a faster way that is effective at concealing me on the way into my stand.

Demoderby4

RE: On the way to your stand

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 am

Planting trees would be good for the long run, but some people may feel it would be a "waste"  if you don't use that stand year after year, a "ghillie (sp) suit" or something like that would prob be the best bet, and just wear it the whole time of your hunt, take your time and always have your eyes open and looking, i am not too good at that and need to practice that a lot more this season, and other than what i just mentioned,  you could cut some timber down and set them up along whatever trail your taking to your stand, or use a creek bed and something like that to sty concealed if you have one available. Hope this helps a little!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 am

Reflex are you having to walk through open terrain on your way to the stand or is it that you are constantly bumping deer on the way in?  My sense is you'd have to plan a lot of trees to acheive what you are looking to do...and if your creating a concelead route I'm going to bet the deer will eventually take advantage of that route as well.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:05 am

Whats the reasoning and can you find another route?
Stillhunt on your way in.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:11 am

I really wouldn't worrie about spooking I have found if I walk right to the my stand on the edge of a road and the deer I see they do run but they will comeback and see what it was but if I walk along like a preditor then I never see them again but thats what I have noticed I have even bumped a few bucks and they have came back

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:57 am

I suppose it would depend on what time your going to the stand....day light I'd try to still hunt from tree to tree....or brush cover

in the dark that depends on differant things as well but I think Aftershock is right in most instances and another way would to try and sound like feeding animals...ie...scuffling through the leaves as skunk and raccoons do....shaking branches as deer do when browsing them...not making rythmic steps as humans do...

Wht pine is a favorate food for our deer and bedding area...avoiding those maybe a good Idea if they can see you ..before you see them

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Not sure what your layout looks like, but a lot of hunters will plant some tall grasses like switchgrass so they can get in and get out of their stands without being noticed!
QDM!

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements