Hing cutting success?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Back40

Hing cutting success?

Postby Back40 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:22 am

Anyone have success with deer utilizing hing cut trees? I hing cut some maples hoping the deer will feed on them. Thanks!

habitatmanager

RE: Hing cutting success?

Postby habitatmanager » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:27 am

I have hinged cut red maple and had great sucess with increasing the natural browse here in western ny. I have also cut Aspen, hinge and felled and had great sucess as aspen are great root sprouters the deer and ruffed grouse love it and use the area for food and when it gets 4-5 years old as a beeding/nesting area as well!

bearcreek

Postby bearcreek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Whats hing cutting? I do tree work and logging for a living and I've never heard that term before.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:16 am

That's new to me too. What does the term mean? Not that it means anything, but last week I watched a doe eating maple leaves. This buck was watching her. Pics are with a telephoto lens. Think he knew I was there, would not come any closer.

never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bearcreek

Postby bearcreek » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Those are oak leaves bro. [:D] Nice buck, hope he comes in for you next time. 

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:45 am

No, there are no oaks in this area. Take a closer look. Besides, oak leaves are usually brown colored this time of year. But I agree, in the first pic, they do look similar to oak leaf shaped. I even thought that when I posted the pic. But no, they are maple. 

never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:28 am

I love hinge cutting! It is a cheap and easy way to increase ground level cover and browse. I have used it most often around the edges of my property. I think this provides a screen from prying eyes and it helps deer to feel more secure when in the interior. I am not real choosy when selecting species. I am more concerned with the location and the size of the tree. It is not 100% effective but it is a pretty big return on the small investment in labor.

As a matter of fact, I was out doing some hinge cuts yesterday morning and took some photos of the results from past hinge cuts. the last photo is some of the work I just did.

impeach O

Postby impeach O » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:31 pm

I love to hinge cut non mast trees!!!! maple-ash-cherry work best for me aspen seems to break. best success with thees smaller than 10 inches. I have a 10 foot piece of half inch rebar bent like a hook on the end and handle welded on the other end to pull the trees over where I want. here is a go at my method.

I do mine at shoulder height which I only recommend to those well used to a chainsaw! I cut from the opposite side that I want the trees to fall. I have a partner pull on the tree with my rebar hook for 2 reasons. first to lay the tree where I want. second so that I dont have to cut as far into the tree to get it to fall thus leaving more bark ensuring greater sucess. the trees continue living and send shoots up along the top of the trunk towards the sky. in about 3-4 years the shoots will be thick enough that I pull them over ant tie them with parachute cord to form a living brush pile. browse-bedding cover in one as well as increased sunlight to the forrest floor around it.
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

pschuh32

Postby pschuh32 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:04 am

I hinge cut some mature ironwood trees in a once thick bedding area that has become too open. I don't think they're going to stay alive but at least I got rid of a useless tree in hopes something more valuable to the deer will sprout among them. Deer did used them as bedding cover shortly afterwards. This was on my grandfathers property, I explained what I was doing but when he saw it I think he had something else pictured, he'll get over it!

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:09 pm

I have never heard of hinge cutting either....i thought it was in referance to the cut at an angle before you drop a tree.Wouldn't simply -topping a tree get the same results??? making it grow out instead of up and bush out? why is it left attached ? sorry [8D]so many questions never seen this before.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements