Identifying Trees

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Demoderby4

Identifying Trees

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:29 pm

I was just wondering if you guys know of any books that would be good for me to read that would help me to understand what type of trees are what? Big beginner question, but i never really got to know what from what ever and i really want to learn the differences and how to identify them. I know what white and red oaks look like their leaves and everything but other trees is what im talking about, thanks for any info or links!!! I really appreciate it!

DeerCamp

RE: Identifying Trees

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:42 pm

I dont know any books..But what you could do is talk to some loggers..They know everything about trees. The plus to talking to them is they are in the woods all the time and can aslo tell you where to find deer.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Demoderby,
I'm with you here.  I have no clue about trees (other than red/white oaks).
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:04 pm

I may have to do that deercamp, thanks for the idea! Yeah i never have really got to learn about anything nature wise other than what animals live in it lol. I really want to learn tho, more for whenever i end up purchasing my own land so i know whats on it and what will be beneficial and what can go. Thanks for the replies guys!

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:31 am

This is the best. They have versions for every region in the country. Hope it helps you out!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks stumpsitter! I'll have to take a look at it, look it up on amazon and stuff and see if i can eek out the money to get it soon lol!..... ok yeah i just looked i think i can dish out 5 bucks lol, thanks for the idea!!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:18 am

google michigan trees....order a Musser nursery catalog...any ways those a free for now....[;)]

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:57 am

Let me know how I can help, I took wildlife management in school where I also took dendrology (trees) and other similiar classes where I had to identify trees by buds only, I was also dendrology tutor employed by the school for a while.  I used the the text book of dendrology  it has excelent up close pictures of buds, twigs, bark and leaves as well as in depth descriptions of prefered growing sites for each species of trees, another good one is Trees, shrubs, and vines of Southeastern Ohio, It can help anyone living  in the midwest, and most of the east coast.  The pictures are terrible but it has a good descriptions and very easy to follow key in the back that will walk you through identifying unknown species in the field.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

zos41

Postby zos41 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:05 am

Also see if you can find a local landowner, hunter, woodcutter or farmer who would be willing to take a part day and show you how to identify some of the common trees in your area.

I forgot to say, but check with your local DEC office, they may have booklets that will help. Also check with local sportsmen clubs

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks for all the ideas! I ordered that book, and i might have a DEC come out to the land and walk around with me and my buddy one day, ill have to ask the landowner if its ok with him since neither of us own the land, but im pretty sure he wont mind.

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements