Identifying Trees

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
shaman

RE: Identifying Trees

Postby shaman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:41 am

I find I've misplaced my leaf key from High School Biology.  However, I found this on line. It'll probably do as well .

Leaf Key

What I would recommend is to go and collect samples sometime before Fall, press them in newspaper and then spend some time identifying everything.  It really helps to get a feel for what you have. It sounds daunting, but with that leaf key, you should be able to get through your samples in an afternoon.

I also have this:

It's a little turgid, and sometimes you find yourself trying to remember  ovoid vs. ovate vs obovate, and your brain freezes up, but it's really fun.  I did this with #1 and #2 sons when their schools asked for a leaf collection.  I'm still waiting for #3 to need his-- still have my leaf press.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:06 am

Here's another link that looks quite useful:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b899/pdf/b899.pdf
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:50 am

ORIGINAL: stumpsitter66

This is the best. They have versions for every region in the country. Hope it helps you out!

Yep, that's a good one. I think I have the same book, but it's the Ontario version. I have several tree field guides, and any of them are worth having if the price is right.

I remember when I was a kid I was real impressed that my grandfather could identify a tree by the bark. All bark looked the same to me then.

Steve

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

ORIGINAL: stumpsitter66

This is the best. They have versions for every region in the country. Hope it helps you out!

Yep, that's a good one. I think I have the same book, but it's the Ontario version. I have several tree field guides, and any of them are worth having if the price is right.

I remember when I was a kid I was real impressed that my grandfather could identify a tree by the bark. All bark looked the same to me then.

Steve
I third this motion and its small enough to carry in your day pack
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements