1/4 acre deep woods food plots?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
horsefly

RE: 1/4 acre deep woods food plots?

Postby horsefly » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:11 am

DeanoZ, good point.  I have just lined up a person with a bulldozer to do some work for me in the spring.  I'm thinking about 2 or 3 food plots and making them long and narrow.  I can place them on either side of a hardwood ridge and a beaver pond.  I've been saving the funds to get this done, for about $80/hr I figure he can clear out what I need done in just a few hours with the dozer.
Next, I have to get some box stands built....I'm getting too old to climb trees anymore!!

Thanks for the advise, a great forum!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:37 am

I would look at planting some kind of perennial along the pond. They will grow good there and help with washouts and bank erosion.
A buddy of mine had good luck with Throw n Grow from Evolved Harvest on a deep woods logging trail. Its a mix of different brassica's without the turnips.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:15 pm

my plots are in the woods and mostly long and narrow...I really like jumbo clover and so do the deer and turky.... 

HHHmm that didn't work...no pics...[&o]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:32 am

Pics...

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0088.jpg" border="0" alt="jumbo clover"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0123.jpg" border="0" alt="jumbo clover and chicory"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0082.jpg" border="0" alt="oak grove plot #1"></a>

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:33 am

Really neat msbadger thanks for posting the pics...i honestly had no idea what clover looked like being a city boy...now I have something to relate to...do you have other pics of Brassicas, Rye, Chickory etc?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:42 am

The reason for the first pic is to show size of jumbo clover ...that one leaf measured 3" x 3" and was from a first year planting...

The second pic shows a mix of Oassis chicory and jumbo clover....

The third pic shows one of my long narrow food plots..clover...in the woods....

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Nice plots msbadger...you should be a pro...those are better than anything they show on Tecomonte or those pro plot thingys down south!
(Florence Co., WI)

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:04 am

Ms B,

Do you do anything specific to the ground before planting?  I'm in the process of purchasing another parcel which has potential for food plots.  I'm not looking for anything time consuming as I live 1hr 45min away but if there is something I could just throw and go I'd appreciate the info.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:08 am

Got to tell you I'm a tad "A--l"[;)] about my plots...so time and lime are a main ingredient...

1. first year is lime and plant buck wheat with a 10-10-10 fertalizer
     a) Buckwheat adds phosphorus to soil...(antler/bone food)
     b) Deep roots help break up soil with out deep tilling or plowing
     c) It is a natural weed surpressor...so it cuts some costs
     d) Deer and turkey love it and it will regrow to a fall planting
     e) Does well in higher acid lower fertile ground...giving time to up PH

2. Fall ...I disc in (LIGHTLY) winter trical or wheat or rye....lime again 1/2  
    amount and some fertalizer

3. Spring ...just let it grow and go turkey hunting over it...[;)]

4. late spring/early summer watch weather for rain...check plot for weeds
    and mow down close

Now depending on weeds  either disc(rototil) in or spray with weed killer ..let sit for a couple of weeks

Bye this time you've decided on what seed and if it will be a annual or perennial plot.....Me if its an annual I lime fertalize and plant buck wheat again the in the fall before a rain just over seed with turnips(no discing)

Remember to always drag the soil to firm up seed bed ...on these small plots I rake rocks..rake rocks...rake rocks...and truely believe they reproduce[&o] this is my personel demon for I hate rocks...

As far as throw and grow...I opened up the canopy in the oak grove and limed under the trees...raked up ground put down 15-15-15 and tossed out some secret spot....3 yrs later stuff from that is still growing ...go figure.        Hope this helps

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks Ms B.  I have some existing ATV trails on a 20 acre parcel just over the Allegany line in Catt county.  It gives me access to about a thousand acres of timber property with a good deer and turkey population.  I like to plant the trails and maybe a couple small plots.  So if I got this right, round up to kill existing growth, burn or weed wack, lime it, rake it and throw some Buckwheat.

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements