Mullberry Trees

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Jdbllung

Mullberry Trees

Postby Jdbllung » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:49 am

Can anyone tell me what benefit, if any, a producing mullberry tree would have for a deer's diet.  I've never seen on in the woods, so I don't know if they would eat the berrys or not.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

msbadger

RE: Mullberry Trees

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 am

Well the deer here love mine...problem...bucks rub the BGG's out of them so I have to keep them fenced....they are high in.... C,K,iron,potasium,magnisium....produce most of summer and the turkey love them...they also help keep birds...out of my late cherries and blueberries

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:24 am

Thanks for the info msbadger, I have one tree at my house and there are always tons of saplings sprouting up here, so I figured a couple transplanted to my hunting area would do well, as long as they were beneficial.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:16 pm

I have a plum tree that is sprouting sapplings everywhere. Could i dig those up and replant? Or would I have to establish a better root system first?
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:15 pm

You could dig them in the spring and transplant them directly, making sure you dig as far out from the stem as the tree is tall and at least a foot under the surface so you dont damage the root system.  The second option, and one I would do myself, is dig up the sapling  place it in a large, but cheap plastic container, add some pre-mix soil, specifically for shrubs and trees, and let it grow until the roots start to come out the weep holes.  This will take a season or two, but will allow the tree to establish itself.  Once transfered I would put up some type of fencing up so the deer don't destroy it.  Good Luck!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Sounds good Jdbllung. I think I have some old pots around here somewhere.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 am

These are very fast growing trees. Deer will eat the berries but they benefit all wildlife especially birds. They make great cover. I planted some of them years ago and they took off and added to the cover.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:36 am

I can tell you that here in Souther PA, a mulberry tree has nearly the same draw as an apple tree.  My uncle has 3 huge ones in front of his house.  The deer will flock to these when they start to drop the ripe fruit.  They will be there every day until the fruit stops dropping.  We also find they don't go far to bed when this is available.  They bed about 100 yards away from the trees, but do not use this area as bedding throughout the rest of the year.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:46 am

We've got a couple of very large mulberry trees and I can't say deer pay any attention to them.  One is so big and layed over though that a hunter could get inside the branches and be right on the edge of one of our food plots - it makes an excellent natural blind for a quick hunt on the ground.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

zos41

Postby zos41 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:48 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

I have a plum tree that is sprouting sapplings everywhere. Could i dig those up and replant? Or would I have to establish a better root system first?
You should have no problems if you dig them in the spring and transplant quickly. Be sure to dig a large root ball to get as many roots as possible and plant at the depth they were orginlly

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements