aromatic trees

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DeanoZ

aromatic trees

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:10 am

I've read in some books that bucks will tend to rub on aromatic trees, espcially f they happen to be along stream beds.  I've seen this personally on holly trees and what I believe to be hickory or locust trees/bushes along stream beds...anyone else experience this or have some additional insight?

Goose

RE: aromatic trees

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:30 am

I've read studies on rubs and they're locations in several books and I cant remember the exact number but most rubs occur around edges. Where to types of terrain or woods meet i.e where a swamp meets hardwoods or conifers meet hardwoods ect.
Something like 70% of rubs are within 20 yards of these edges 20% are within 30 yards and the remaining 10% are beyond that.
They tracked the rubs and their locations through out the year for multiple years.

Most rubs that I see are on cedars,pine, and smaller sugar maples. It varies widely on habitat but I think its safe to say that cedars are a sure bet wherever you can find them.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:22 am

On our place ....They hit my wht pine....young maple....on field edges....the witch hazel deep woods but stream edge....basswood and beech, deep woods....red oak in the food plot area in woods...Fruit trees any place the can find them...I stopped fencing with chicken wire because theyed get stuck and really rip things up....they don't like hard ware cloth...

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:12 am

Thanks Goose and msbadger...yeah that seems to be consistent with what i am reading and many of the trees you mentioned are aromatic...still there is the one type of tree in my area (northern NJ) that exists along stream beds, it looks almost like Mtn Laurel, but its not..it loses its leaves and the ones I've seen are no larger than 6-8 feet high crooked trunks approximately 1-3 inches in diameter...the bucks seem to be hitting these alot.  I have to crack open a book and figure out what type of tree this is...just about every rub I've seen is on this kind of tree.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements