IDENTIFYING PLANTS AND TREES

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
DoeEyed

IDENTIFYING PLANTS AND TREES

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:01 pm

Ok all you deer geeks[:)], is there a really good book... or something or even a someone that can help me identify the types of trees and plants I have on my property that would be most beneficial to the deer? I know I have red oak, maples,wild grapes and apple trees but I walk past bushes with berries on them and don't have a clue what they are. Any help is appreciated!  BTW I am located in Northeast Wi. if that helps.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Woods Walker

RE: IDENTIFYING PLANTS AND TREES

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:18 pm

Manual Of Woody Landscape Plants.....By Michael A. Dirr

It's the best reference source there is, especially if you are in the upper mid-west.

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Woody-Landscape-Plants-Characteristics/dp/0875637957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233458426&sr=1-1
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:22 pm

I think it's called ...North American plants and wildlife....but you'd be surprised at some things they sell in various plant catalogs...I plant alot of things so get many publications..any ? let me know I'll try to help

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:17 pm

WW, does this book have alot of color photos or is it mostly black and white illustrations?
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:27 pm

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

WW, does this book have alot of color photos or is it mostly black and white illustrations?

The edition I have is from the late 70's, and there's no color in it. I don't know if the newer one do or not. He comes out with new additions every three years or so.

Truth be told, you really don't need color. Most plants are identified via their physical characteristics such as leaf shape/characteristics, stem/leaf ranking, bark type, and a host of other factors.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:35 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

I think it's called ...North American plants and wildlife....but you'd be surprised at some things they sell in various plant catalogs...I plant alot of things so get many publications..any ? let me know I'll try to help

Could it be... North American Wildlife - An illustrated guide to 2,ooo plants and animals?

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements