Alfalfa Food Plot

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
ReflexHunter

Alfalfa Food Plot

Postby ReflexHunter » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:42 pm

I was looking at what I want to plant in my plots this spring and I need some input.  I was looking at planting clover or alfalfa.  I know a decent amount about clover and have had success with it, but I was thinking alfalfa might produce more forage.  Does anybody know anything about alfalfa in terms of ease of growing, deer utilization, how much grazing it can handle, any info. would be appreciated.  Thanks.

msbadger

RE: Alfalfa Food Plot

Postby msbadger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:40 am

RH...google alfalfa...and White Tail Instutute...you should find alot
I know deer love it...It needs a little higher PH than clover and a well drained soil.....with LOTS of sun to grow well...It's very deep rooted ...and if you hunt turkey they use it not only for food but to feed on the many bugs that like alfalfa....Good Luck

Goose

RE: Alfalfa Food Plot

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:04 am

I cant say I've ever planted alfalfa but from what I've read it does better in sandier or drier areas than clover.
Their tap roots can get up to 10 ft long!
It's also supposed to live a little longer than clover.
It needs more clippings than clover so unless you have heavy grazing it might be more maint.
I've read its best to plant in August in northern regions because the frost will take care of the competing weeds at the right time.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements