BULK FERTILIZERS AND LIME

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
JBow

BULK FERTILIZERS AND LIME

Postby JBow » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:37 am

I live in the Southern Tier of NY State, just above Binghamton, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I might get bulk fertilizers and lime.  I can get lime by the truckload over in Owego, but It's pulverized as opposed to pelletized.  I need the pelletized.  And I can't find anything higher than 15-15-15 for fertilizer.  I need 20-20-20, then 46-0-0.  Those are all bagged, not bulk.  My food plots have done well, but I want to plant them strictly by the numbers this coming season.  Much larger and hopefully able to handle some heavy grazing. 
Last season my brassica plots got mauled before archery even opened.   They continued to grow, but not like I expected.  The clover did the best, coming up just like you see on the commercials and ads.  The oats did better than I had thought they would.  They all attracted Deer, but I know I can do much better.
Any suggestions on where I might try for fertilizer.  I need to get started soon, at least the planning stages.

Thanks!
J-Bow
IF IT'S WORTH DOING, IT'S WORTH DOING RIGHT!

JBow

RE: BULK FERTILIZERS AND LIME

Postby JBow » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:04 pm

WOW!  What a hot topic!  Might as well flush this one............

[size="7"][color="#cc00cc"]KER-SPLOOSH!!!

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

[/color][/size]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:37 pm

JBow....this has been a problem for me as well.....lime is way out there and bulk is cheaper but still too exspensive to have someone spread it...this year I'm getting a company dump truck and buying the lime and dumping it on the property.....will use a drop spreader that we buy or make from plans more work but cheaper and Ag lime lasts longer that pelleted...go to a local farmer and ask where they get their bulk stuff...or go to local co-op extension office they'll help you

JBow

Postby JBow » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:52 am

msbadger,

Thanks!  I called a local place a few days ago and the lime isn't a problem.  Back in my truck and they'll dump all I can handle.  The best I can still find in fertilizer is triple 15, unless I want to special order 3 tons of the right stuff.  I didn't even bother to ask the price since I can't use anywhere near that much. 
I have a 16 gallon sprayer that can spread liguid fertilizer also.  I've got to research that also.  Last season I threw down some miracle grow after the plots started popping and it really seemed to help.  Maybe I'll hammer 'em with that this year. 
     I've got lots of time to think about this stuff.  I'm gonna buy my seed real soon though.  Clover, brassicas, oats and corn. 
Why do I feel like quiting my day job and buying a real farm?!?!?!

Thanks!
J-Bow

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:43 pm

That would be my dream...Quitting my 9-5 and buying a farm, making it my own!  Someday...[:D]
QDM!

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:23 am

JBow, I am in need of the same things you are and was going to start researching where to get the same stuff in the same general area.  I am in Masonville which is about 30 minutes south east of Binghamton.  I too am looking for bulk pellatized lime and I am also looking for a fertilizer with no nitrogen for the clover plots I have planted like a 0-20-20.  I will let you know what I find if you would do the same for me.  Thanks!!!

Joe
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements