Turnips for years

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Blazed

Turnips for years

Postby Blazed » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:03 am

I planted turnips this year. Did what I feel was a Half-fast preperation job, compared to what I could have done, but I had little faith in their power to draw in deer. Howeer they worked great! I got decent growth and good draw of deer. There were deer on them every night, although earlier they just stoppe for a quick nibble, and later in the season they stayed and fed for a while.   I had 1/2 acre, but it could have been  whole acre in that spot, and now I'm shooting for a 2.5 acre spot at my house. I will do more prep this year, and plant a little earlier (Aug 5 last year) I'm thinking mid July, to get more growth before they really hammer them.

My question here is for those that have planted for many years. I have read that Turnips should not be planted more than 2 years in the same spot. Any way around that? I want to keep the success rolling.

Goose

RE: Turnips for years

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:21 am

I believe they are still working on that. Could be wrong though.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

RE: Turnips for years

Postby msbadger » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Blaze ...it's because of the pests and fungi that build up when a crop is not rotated...you could perhaps get anther year or two by switching to a more resistant hybrid....but to rotate the crop with say a wheat/rye hybrid will keep deer coming in and as a till in later in the spring a good soil builder

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements