soybean plot

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Goose

RE: soybean plot

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Just an after the season summery.

We planted a 3 acre RR soybean plot this year in WI and had plenty of rain so it came up good.
This plot is the only food source that I know of on our block of probably 800 acres. (we own 50 of those)
Across the road from us (40 acres away) they had some soybeans and corn planted.

The bucks, does, and fawns pounded this field all summer and early fall.
Around early Oct. the does and fawns seemed to move on to better food sources(across the road)
The bucks stayed around and still hit the field hard all fall and into winter.
The does seemed to come back in the middle of Nov. and were seen again in the field.
I think the snow is too deep now and the field is picked over but it is still being used.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:48 pm

Nothing beats beans!  My dad planted about 20 acres of beans this year (strictly farm related) and the deer hammered it.  Every night in the summer we'd see deer coming out minimum of 3 hours before dark.  It was pretty sweet!  But, we also have plenty of farm fields in the area not like what you have Goose.  I'm sure it's nice to have a ton of woods and then just throw in a plot.  You don't have to worry about variety because whatever you plant is variety to them since there is not much around.  Love planting food plots though...Spring can't come soon enough!
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 pm

It sure does help but when the plot don't grow like its supposed to its tough hunting until the rut.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements